Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jrbevis

pilot
I have reason to believe I damaged my rotator cuff. I have an appointment in December with an orthopedic surgeon.

Curious if any of you guys have gone through this and what repercussions it had with your medical.

Thanks

I have reason to believe I damaged my rotator cuff. I have an appointment in December with an orthopedic surgeon.

Curious if any of you guys have gone through this and what repercussions it had with your medical.

Thanks

I had an injury with my shoulder in June. Went to see a GP and he told me to relax and take er easy (as I had been lifting weights). I couldnt do any good workouts for a while and then decided to see an orthopedic guy. He did some range of motion checks and thought it was OK and then took some X-rays. Based on the X-rays he told me right away that it was either a slap lesion or rotator cuff problem and then proceeded to tell me that I would need surgery. Before I went down that path, I tried a liquid form of glucosamine/chondroiton and tablets too, ice packs and some visits to a chiropractor. Chiropractor did some stretches and some ultrasound type work on the affected area. Its taken a long time but present day, its just about worked itself out. Ive been back in the gym and getting close to lifting what I had been back in June (although I am very careful and got some good advice from the chiropractor). I take glucosamine every day and it has even helped out with a knee injury that I had as well.

Id try everything else that you can before going for that surgery. And remember, that orthopedic guy wants to cut into your shoulder.......thats his living!

Have your Ortho Surgeon do an MRI before you accept anything. That's about the only thing that can tell if it's a Rotator cuff Injury for sure. I'd try anything like P.T. for months before id go for the surgery, your probably off work for 6 weeks to 3 months. I thought I had a Rotator Cuff problem, an MRI ruled it out, i'm in PT (prescribed by my Ortho Surgeon) for next 2 to 3 months. My Dr. would not even consider any surgery before he tries PT. It looks to be a bit of tendentious, aggravated by a slight bone spur. Almost identical symptoms to Rotator Cuff... Hey I'll try the glucosamine thing too. Worth a shot

Have your Ortho Surgeon do an MRI before you accept anything. That's about the only thing that can tell if it's a Rotator cuff Injury for sure. I'd try anything like P.T. for months before id go for the surgery, your probably off work for 6 weeks to 3 months. I thought I had a Rotator Cuff problem, an MRI ruled it out, i'm in PT (prescribed by my Ortho Surgeon) for next 2 to 3 months. My Dr. would not even consider any surgery before he tries PT. It looks to be a bit of tendentious, aggravated by a slight bone spur. Almost identical symptoms to Rotator Cuff... Hey I'll try the glucosamine thing too. Worth a shot

Yah my orthopedic guy wanted to do an MRI with an injection in the shoulder to confirm his findings on the X-ray. I didnt even want to go through with that until I tried everything else possible. I was told that it would take about 2-3 weeks to notice any difference with the glucosamine/chondroiton (liquid/tablets) and sure enough, thats what it took. Im not a big fan of chiropracters, but this guy did the sports injuries for the Dallas cowboys. He was pretty well know and reasonable. He did more than just some basic stretches including that ultrasonic thing and the other deal where they hook up some leads (like an EKG almost) on the shoulder and then make the muscles/shoulder spasm as well. To this day I am also using that icy/hot roll on as well. Just worked out today and had no problems at all. Id give it some rest and try the above and see how that works out before letting them cut into yah. Like I said, from the time that I injured myself to present day has been almost 5 months.

Where do you guys find the liquid Glucosamine ? and is it better than tablets ?

I picked mine up at, "Affordable Supplements." But you can get glucosamine/chondroiton at any health food store. The liquid looks thick but actually tastes good ....like an orange type flavor. Ive just been using the tablets now because the liquid bottle is more than 3oz for security. The pills I have are made by, "Meridian Naturals" and cost about 14 dollars for 120.

You should just take your rotator cuff problem to this guy I know named the Falcon. He'll Fix yah. PM me for details

Thanks

The shoulder is the most complex joint in the human body.

Only an MRI will show soft tissue damage (e.g. rotator cuff or SLAP tear)

Sometimes PT (physical therapy) or ultrasound or injection can help a minor injury.

Also strengthening the shoulder muscles will help.

Major injury/tear will require surgery.

Shoulder surgery is generally a painful and long recovery (sometimes 6+ months for full strength.) and requires general anesthesia.

You may not get full range of motion after surgery.

Use cost/benefit analysis to determine if you should have surgery (current pain/limitations versus recovery/risks)

Find a Board Certified orthopoedic surgeon who has done HUNDREDS of the procedures. If you go to a teaching hospital. DO NOT allow a resident or fellow to touch you.

A chiropractor may be helpful for some soft tissue BACK injuries, but has NO BUSINESS treating a true SLAP or rotator tear.

If you have surgery, then bring all the paperwork to your next FAA medical.

good luck

Latest resources

Back