rotary to fixed training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyhighroller

I'm a low time blackhawk pilot(250 hours) and I'm gonna get my fixed wing transition on the civilian side...

anyone know off the top of thier heads the min for the private? also, which if any accelerated schools are the best and most economical?

thanks ahead of time for responses!

Pilots choice in Georgetown, Texas does a lot of rotor wing transition for the guys from Ft Hood. GTU

You'll do it in 35hrs under 141 like I did. You are already 90% of the way there. Flying a plane is as easy as driving a car if you already fly rotors. At least that's what I felt after trying to fly the R-22 the first time, that thing was a bitch at first but gravy after a few hours.

Last edited:
flyhighroller said:
anyone know off the top of thier heads the min for the private? also, which if any accelerated schools are the best and most economical?

If you already hold an FAA private certificate for rotorcraft-helicopter, then you need 30 hours of fixed wing time - 20 dual, 10 solo(ref 61.109a). If you hold a commercial certificate for rotorcraft-helicopter, you can go straight to a Commercial ASEL with 50 hours of fixed wing, assuming you meet the PIC and X-C requirements listed in 61.129a. Check the link below for Part 61 straight from the FAA.

Part 61 regs

When the APTAP message board was active, St Charles Flying Service, St. Charles, MO outside of St. Louis was highly regarded and used by a lot of Army guys with zero fixed wing time who left with their CMEL.

Some of the greatest and easiest students I ever instructed were the transition guys from rotary to fixed wing. You'll do it in the minimum time if your instructor isn't trying to "churn" you for time.

Best of luck!

UAL78

FracCapt said:
If you hold a commercial certificate for rotorcraft-helicopter, you can go straight to a Commercial ASEL with 50 hours of fixed wing,

That's 50 hours PIC time in airplanes, which means the time it takes to solo,..mmm..5 to 10 hours, get endorsed for solo in airplanes, then start logging PIC solo and dual. So it will be 55 to 60 hours. Why not take the private at 30, then you can carry pax the additional 25-30.

nosehair said:
That's 50 hours PIC time in airplanes, which means the time it takes to solo,..mmm..5 to 10 hours, get endorsed for solo in airplanes, then start logging PIC solo and dual. So it will be 55 to 60 hours. Why not take the private at 30, then you can carry pax the additional 25-30.

I stand corrected. I went back and re-read it, and you're right....it specifies "100 hours in powered aircraft, of which at least 50 are in airplanes", then goes on to specify "100 hours PIC - 50 of which must be in airplanes". I didn't keep reading past the first part.

Latest resources

Back