Rods vs. Cones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

Well...I don't even know how to ask the question, so I'll just ask it the way I answer it in the mock oral..

"uhhhh?"

Anyone have a simple explanation or a linkey?

Thanks!

-mini

Practical application: Since rods are responsible for night vision, and there are no rods at the center of your vision, there is a night "blindspot". If you want to see a particular spot at night (ex: airport beacon) you need to look off center of where the beacon really is in order to "see" it, otherwise, it's in your "blindspot".

Aocs 1966

Rods are at the center of the retna in the eye. Rods provide high visual acuity during bright light situations. The ability to read the 20/20 on the eye charts is due to the rods in our eyes. The rods are extremely oxygen rich. The cones surround the rods, the cones are much more light sensitive, but have very low visual acuity and provide are night vision capability. The cones also provide our peripheral vision. When oxygen flow to the eye is reduced, the rods loose the ability to operate. This causes the loss of color vision, then the loss of center vision (it is like looking around a solid vision blocker). While pulling G’s and cutting off blood flow to the head, first your rods will start to have reduced capability, and vision will go black and white, then the hole will appear, and finally around 5.0 G’s there is not enough oxygen to have vision. At night after your eyes have night adopted in about 30 minutes, only the cones work and there will be a hole in the center of your vision. Source Navy Aviation Physiology class Sept 1966

Hi...

I don't believe the above is completely accurate.

In the human eye, the cone cells are located primarily in and around the fovea. The cones are responsible for color vision and daylight vision. The cones also provide us with our sharpest vision, or highest acuity of vision. Finally, the cones are much less numerous than the rod cells.
The rod cells are responsible for night vision and for seeing in black and white. So, people who are totally colorblind must not have functioning cone cells. Further, at night, you cannot see colors, (you just think that you do).
Rods are found everywhere in the retina, except in and near the fovea. Rods do not detect light as sharply as the cones do, but rods are much more sensitive to low light levels than the cones are.

Regards

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/V/Vision.html

Correction

fly mach is correct, I looked at my notes again and I had transposed the the two.

Last edited:
Checks said:
to help you remember:
RN's like CD's

Rods for Night vision
Cones for Day vision

I knew there head to be something like that floating around...like the UNOS and ANDS thing...

Thanks to everyone...I think I understand it now!

-mini

Hopefully no one will ever be confused again.

A Pilot always uses his Rod at night

That's the way I remembered it(sorry ladies)

You look for CONES (breasts) during the day, so you can use your ROD (penis) at night. Can I say penis on these boards?

Been over 4 years since I instructed, but I still remember this to this day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back