Rnp

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GravityHater

I am trying to get the SDGWR/LN (eg) equipment codes for the airplane sorted out.
One section deals with RNAV capability:

the options offered for each of the four are included:
Four Sections,
1. RNP Airspace Level
......RNP 10, RNP 4, or blank
2. RNAV Dep Level
......RNV 1 or blank
3. RNAV Enroute
.....RNV 2, RNV 99, or blank
4. RNAV Arrival Level
......RNV 1 or blank

We are using Honeywell's GNS-xLS
Honeywell says "This is not an RNP unit" (whatever they mean by that - I thought all RNAV capable boxes had some level of RNP).

We fly only domestically and a lot of point to point.(off airways)

It is possible that the global is not rnp but somewhere in your manual it should state its rnav capability. We have a garmin installed in our Citation and that is where I found the rnav info.

I am trying to get the SDGWR/LN (eg) equipment codes for the airplane sorted out.
One section deals with RNAV capability:

the options offered for each of the four are included:
Four Sections,
1. RNP Airspace Level
......RNP 10, RNP 4, or blank
2. RNAV Dep Level
......RNV 1 or blank
3. RNAV Enroute
.....RNV 2, RNV 99, or blank
4. RNAV Arrival Level
......RNV 1 or blank

We are using Honeywell's GNS-xLS
Honeywell says "This is not an RNP unit" (whatever they mean by that - I thought all RNAV capable boxes had some level of RNP).

We fly only domestically and a lot of point to point.(off airways)

Has your GNSxLS been updated to comply with AC90-100 for use with RNAV SID's and STARS?

Regardless if the unit is modified or not, for a domestic ICAO plan you will most likely use SDGWZ/ (c) or (s) depending on your transponder. Then in box 18 you list you rnav capability in relation to AC90-100, NAV/RNNVD1A1E2 if you are in compliance.
If you are not in compliance with AC90-100 you would use NAV/RNVE2, meaning you have enroute point to point rnav capability only.

The RNP 4, 5, 10 etc should be stated in the flight manual supplement. But i believe that you have to have an LOA (opsec) from your FSDO authorizing you to use that airspace. The only one of these values you may need for domestic ops is RNP 10 if you get into the WATRS area in the Caribbean.

The RNP that honeywell is speaking of has to do with being able to physically manipulate the RNP value which you cannot do with the GNSxLS.

Has your GNSxLS been updated to comply with AC90-100 for use with RNAV SID's and STARS?

No, I am positive it has not.

Regardless if the unit is modified or not, for a domestic ICAO plan you will most likely use SDGWZ/ (c) or (s) depending on your transponder.

I am getting SDGW /C......I will have to look into how you got the 'Z'.
Thank you.

Then in box 18 you list you rnav capability in relation to AC90-100, NAV/RNNVD1A1E2 if you are in compliance.
If you are not in compliance with AC90-100 you would use NAV/RNVE2, meaning you have enroute point to point rnav capability only.

We are not in compliance and I agree with the enroute ptp only. (is that the 'Z'?)

The RNP 4, 5, 10 etc should be stated in the flight manual supplement. But i believe that you have to have an LOA (opsec) from your FSDO authorizing you to use that airspace. The only one of these values you may need for domestic ops is RNP 10 if you get into the WATRS area in the Caribbean.

The RNP that honeywell is speaking of has to do with being able to physically manipulate the RNP value which you cannot do with the GNSxLS.

The AC90-100A compliance mod for the GNSXLS is actually an upgrade for PRNAV capability which will also include a LOA and supplement for RNP. Domestically, the only RNP procedures are RNAV/RNP SAAR approach procedures (with RF legs, RNP 0.15 and cool stuff like that), so when you get the mod, it changes the part/software number and then the unit will conform to the compliance table and the RNAV1 procedures can be legally accepted. Clear as mud?

PJ

I am getting SDGW /C......I will have to look into how you got the 'Z'.
Thank you.

We are not in compliance and I agree with the enroute ptp only. (is that the 'Z'?)

The "Z" is for the domestic plan and indicates that you have rnav capability. The capability is what you put in box 18.

Maybe this will help you some.

On 29 June, 2008, the ERAM update will take affect. If you plan on using
RNAV SIDs, RNAV STARs, or Point to Point (PTP) routing, you will need to
file your flight plan using the FAA Form 7299-4, which is FAA’s
International Flight Plan. http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa7233-4.pdf

In Item 10, “Equipment”, include “Z” along wit the list of equipment you
would normally include on an international flight plan. In Item 18, “Other
Information”, include the following:

To be assigned an RNAV 1 SID, insert the characters “D1”.

To be assigned an RNAV 1 STAR, insert the characters “A1”.

To be assigned en route extensions and/or RNAV PTP, insert the
characters “E2”.

Examples: NAV/RNVD1
NAV/RNVA1
NAV/RNVE2
NAV/RNVD1A1
NAV/RNVD1E2A1

If you do not use the FAA’s international flight plan or include the items
indicated above, you not receive automatic assignment of RNAV SIDs, RNAV
STARs, or PTP routing in the US domestic airspace. You will be assigned
conventional routing only. Does that mean VOR & Jet Airways? I’m not
certain, but I would tend lean in that direction.

The following is directly from the FAA’s web site:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/e
nroute/flight_plan_filing/filing/FPF_guidance/index.cfm

The AC90-100A compliance mod for the GNSXLS is actually an upgrade for PRNAV capability which will also include a LOA and supplement for RNP. Domestically, the only RNP procedures are RNAV/RNP SAAR approach procedures (with RF legs, RNP 0.15 and cool stuff like that), so when you get the mod, it changes the part/software number and then the unit will conform to the compliance table and the RNAV1 procedures can be legally accepted. Clear as mud?

PJ

I did not know that the RNP SAAR was part of the upgrade. We got rid of ours a couple years ago so I lost track of what they finally ended up doing.
Good luck getting the approval to use it though.

I worded that poorly. The upgrade does not have anything to do with RNP SAAR. It does qualify the box for BRNAV and PRNAV, which are not used domestically. It also addresses RNP for WATRS, but not RNP approaches. The big thing is that it is now compliant with AC90-100A and also has ILS procedures in the database. Sorry for the confusion.

That being said, I don't see any reason why someone would have ever filed /Q (RNP) domestically before the ICAO flight plan thing came out.

PJ

Latest resources

Back