• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

RNP-1 vs P-RNAV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G100, great question, but I don't see any difference. I even broke out my AIM, FAA instrument procedures manual, Jepp Instrument Guide and checked the NBAA int'l info. According to what I read they are defined exactly the same way, similar to B-RNAV = +/- 5 nm 95% of the time or RNP-5.

Thanks for getting me in the books,

NWP

NWpilot said:
G100, great question, but I don't see any difference. I even broke out my AIM, FAA instrument procedures manual, Jepp Instrument Guide and checked the NBAA int'l info. According to what I read they are defined exactly the same way, similar to B-RNAV = +/- 5 nm 95% of the time or RNP-5.

Thanks for getting me in the books,

NWP

Neither could I.

this might or might not help

P-RNAV is the aircraft and operator approval requirement that is introduced for RNAV procedures in ECAC Terminal Airspace. Terminal Airspace procedures that require P-RNAV approval are designed following common principles which ensure that procedure design and execution are fully compatible. Additional to the minimum performance and functional requirements appropriate for Terminal Airspace RNAV operations, P-RNAV approval includes navigation data integrity requirements and flight crew procedures. In other words, P-RNAV allows Terminal Airspace operations that are consistent in the various ECAC States, based on procedures design principles and aircraft capabilities that meet the requirement
In other words, P-RNAV allows Terminal Airspace RNAV operations that are consistent in the various ECAC States, based on a common set of design and operation principles, ensuring consistent levels of flight safety. This in contrast to the current situation, where the variations in RNAV approval requirements, the variations procedure design and procedure publication/charting, and the variations in navigation data integrity, have been recognised to be not without safety implications.
P(recision)-RNAV defines European RNAV operations which satisfy a required track-keeping accuracy of ±1 NM for at least 95% of the flight time.
This level of navigation accuracy can be achieved using DME/DME, GPS or VOR/DME. It can also be maintained for short periods using IRS (the length of time that a particular IRS can be used to maintain P-RNAV accuracy without external update is determined at the time of certification).

3.2 It is important to distinguish between RNP and RNP RNAV operations.
There is no requirement for airborne monitoring of the achieve accuracy; instead, accuracy is ensured operationally by qualifying specific sensors or through ATM. These parameters (accuracy, integrity, and continuity) are defined and quantified by RNP RNAV.

Where airspace is designated as RNP-x RNAV, performance requirements include containment (see Figures 2 and 3). Containment is a set of interrelated parameters used to define the performance of an RNP RNAV navigation system. These parameters are containment integrity, containment continuity, and containment region. The accuracy requirement is the 95th percentile of TSE (same as RNP). Integrity and continuity are specified relative to a containment region, whose limit is equal to twice the RNP value (e.g., for RNP-0.3 RNAV the containment region is 0.6 NM). RNP RNAV has additional functional requirements beyond those of RNP, i.e., alerting of the loss of RNP capability must occur in the flight crew’s primary field of view. RNP RNAV avionics assume the ATS service provider ensures their navigation infrastructure meets desired performance requirements. These assumptions should be listed in the AFM. However, since all ATS service providers may not provide identical performance from their navigation infrastructure, the operator must ensure the service provider’s existing infrastructure supports the desired RNP RNAV operation.

The containment region (see Figure 3 below) quantifies the navigation performance where the probability of an unannunciated deviation greater than 2 x RNP is less than 1 x 10-5. This means that the crew will be alerted when the Total System Error (TSE) can be greater than the containment limit. This performance assurance is intended to facilitate the assessment of operational risk and safety for applications where ATC intervention is not feasible or timely (e.g., instrument procedure). The RNP RNAV containment region (the area defined by 2 times the RNP value) could help with safety assessments for separation and obstacle clearance in the development of routes, areas, and procedures.

Seems to me one is EASA, the other is the rest of the world! Everyone likes their own acronymns.

Sounds to me like we're all on the right track. The Europeans call it P-RNAV (or B-RNAV, as the case may be) but ICAO refers to any RNP's as RNP-1, -5, -10, etc.
Same fleas, different dogs.
NWP

I hate to bend the thread alittle, but are you required to show approval to operate under all the different acronyms?
or would it all be included in your ops manual?

Latest resources

Back