RNAV SID with ALT Restrictions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

veneratio

Suppose you are flying an RNAV SID. The SID specifies to CROSS point A at 13000 and 230KT and point B at or below 17000 and 250KT. Upon getting handed off to Center (before reaching point A and while below 13000) Center says "Disregard all speed restrictions, climb and maintain FL 230, maintain 250KT" Does that allow you to waive the 13000 at point A and at or below 17000 at point B? Thus allowing you to climb to FL 230 unrestricted?

Thanks.

No, he said speed restrictions only. You must still comply with the altitude crossings, just not speed, or in this case the new assigned speed of 250 kts.

No, he said speed restrictions only. You must still comply with the altitude crossings, just not speed, or in this case the new assigned speed of 250 kts.

I disagree. Unless you are directed to comply with restrictions any altitude changes you get trump SID/STAR crossing restrictions. I've never had a problem doing it this way. Of course, if in doubt just ask the controller what he expects you to do.

Last edited:
I agree with Caveman. If ATC says "climb and maintain FL190" then you get to ignore the "below 7000" on the SID. But, ask if in doubt.

If they want you to still comply with restrictions, they'll say "climb and maintain FL190 complying with all LOOP4 restrictions" like they did to us yesterday out of LAX.

Restrictions

Caveman & Firstthird are correct-You will disregard all altitude restrictions per the new "clearance limit" for altitude - "FL230"; however as you mentioned the controller asked you to maintain 250KIAS which you would comply with until notified to do otherwise.

Latest resources

Back