Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ipilot

Hey! guys,
recently my company bought an airplne which has an RNAV installed in it. I was trying to figure it out as I've never flown one before. I've managed to put way points in it and fly towards them. it works really accurate.
The question is how to put way points for the approaches? It has a knob in it which say enroute and approach but putting in approach mode doesn't make any difference. It still needs the radial and distance from a VOR to define a waypoint. The approach plates I saw for RNAV approaches don't define that. Is their a way to get around this, may be a place where I can find the radial and distance for those way points.
Any info will be of great help, thanks in advance.........

To use the "old" RNAV equipment you have to use the old RNAV approaches.

With the advent of GPS, the "old" RNAV approaches have been relabeled.

In FAA speak, the approaches are referred to as:

VOR/DME RNAV

For example - Teterboro (TEB) has one:

VOR/DME RNAV RWY 24

In Jeppesen's they have been relegated to the "back" of the pack. For any given airport, they will be labelled in the "19- " series of charts. i.e. You've got charted visual procedures and VOR based RNAV procedures all lumped together.

It's really a shame that they removed a lot of VOR based RNAV approaches and replaced them with database or GPS RNAV. I think the FAA doesn't like the liability of people plugging their own waypoint numbers in and then shooting low level approaches.

Last item - if your RNAV is "new" enough that it will accept Lat/Long coordinates in lieu of Freq/Bearing/Distance, you can go to www.airnav.com and get Lat/Longs for any point in the US Airspace.

Good luck.

Oh I forgot to mention the obvious.

If you look at one of these VOR/DME RNAV approach plates, you will notice that the Freq/Bearing /Distance values are in the box associated with each waypoint.

Using something like the old KNS-80 series, you would load the first fix into waypoint #1, the second into #2 and so on. For example, in Teterboro, you would put IMKEE in #1, QUITR in # 2, MACKK (the MAP in #3) and while your at it put the holding fix at PATRN in #4. Yes, you have to program FBD. And yes, if you look at the Low Enroutes, you can define PATRN as 7 miles off the TEB VOR.

It's been a while since I've used one of these but the APPR and ENR modes just change the sensitivity of the needle. RNAV's are all computer modelling so the "needle" is like the new GPS needles in that they are miles rather than degrees of sensitivity.

hey! trap,
thanks for the reply. the equipment i've is an old one so it doesn't take the lats and longs. i looked at the TEB rnav approach and if i can get data like that i can do it otherwise not.
so i guess mostly its of no use now in the times of GPS approaches. funny thing is that they don't even give the lats and longs on the approach plate. i guess they will probably be in the GPS database.

Approaches aside...

Duats does a great job of planning a flight for you that is easy to use. It will list the vor freq, rad, and dist you need to dial in. Practically don't need charts.

Latest resources

Back