• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cynic

I need some RNAV help; I'm using a KNS 80

Looking at this approach plate:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0701/00892R17.PDF

I assume what I could do is as follows:
Identify CUVGA in RNAV mode 107Deg / 26.4 NM from MGR
Then track the 173 FROM CUVGA and use DME distance to Identify the MAP?
Why isn't the frequency for MGR given on the plate? This leads me to believe my first statement is incorrect.

I'm not sure why we have YUPUY in the Missed App Procedure.
Do I make a waypoint off of MGR for the published hold on the missed? Then I suppose I would use the parallel mode (which I thought was for VOR only) to get the 5 mile legs or just use DME from the waypoint?

The KNS 80 is a VOR-DME RNAV unit. The approach plate you linked to is a GPS RNAV approach. The only way you can fly this approach is with an IFR certified GPS. There are approaches out there that are built specifically for VOR-DME RNAV and will be labelled as such.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol... There are no stupid questions, just stupid people that ask questions....

I'm confused by the phrase GPS RNAV. I always thought RNAV was in reference to VOR / DME type RNAV.

What is the difference between GPS and RNAV (GPS)

There can be a bit of confusion to be sure, and it's all because of past and resent word usage.

RNAV stands for Area Navigation. This refers to any method of navigation that permits aircraft operation on any desired flight path (that comes right out of FAR 1.1). Any type of navigation system that allows point-to-point direct without using airways would be classified as an RNAV system. This is a fairly recent terminology because until the last decade or so there just weren't many area navigation systems at all.

One of the first to hit common use was the VOR-DME system, which is what the KNS 80 is an example of. Therefore the term RNAV came to be synonymous with this type of VOR-DME navigation, where you use a computer to "pick up and move" a VOR station to any location that you specify. Now that we have a variety of systems like GPS and FMS and LORAN, the term RNAV was redefined by the FAA to represent any navigational system that allows "direct to" operations.

You'll see these on approach plates as RNAV approaches, and there will always be a designator to tell you what kind of RNAV unit is being called for. In the case of your original post, it was RNAV (GPS). You may also see RNAV (FMS) or RNAV (LORAN) or RNAV (VOR/DME) on an approach plate, but these aren't as common as GPS is.

Clear as mud?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back