RNAV arrivals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

Was recently given a clearance from the NE to Gallup EAGUL ONE into PHX. ? is if we weren't given further instructions (which we did receive) flying this or other RNAV arrivals are we supposed to cross at the charted altitudes and airspeeds in lieu of anything different from ATC?Will ATC usually specify or back up what the chart says?

If you're asking what I think you're asking, you'd have to hear a "descend via" clearance in order to descend to meet the published crossing restrictions on the STAR. For arrivals such as the COYOT2 (where there are only expected crossing restrictions), they would have to actually tell you which fix to cross at a certain altitude.

I was a little confused by your question though...does that answer it?

Thanks for response. I guess what I'm asking is if you're cleared to xyz airport via RNAV arrival and that arrival has crossing altitudes published do we descend to those posted altitudes ?

As unreal said, if you hear "descend via" the XYZ arrival, then you must comply with the published crossing restrictions; but if you are simply cleared to destination via the XYZ arrival (no "descend via") then you merely comply with the routing, not the altitudes.

As unreal said, if you hear "descend via" the XYZ arrival, then you must comply with the published crossing restrictions; but if you are simply cleared to destination via the XYZ arrival (no "descend via") then you merely comply with the routing, not the altitudes.
I don't think that's correct. If the altitudes and airspeeds printed on the star don't say expect, then they are mandatory. However, the AIM goes on to say until you are told to descend via the arrival you may not leave your last assigned altitude. So it would seem that when they neglect to tell you to begin your descent ask about it.

Latest resources

Back