RNAV Arrivals in a turboprop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freightdog99

Lately I have been given a lot of RNAV Arrivals which require NAV1 or NAV2 which I can do no problem. The problem is most of them also say turbojet aircraft only, however I am in a turboprop. When I mention something to ATC they say don't worry about it. If it doesn't matter why is the note there? If it is truly for jets only why is ATC assigning it to turboprops? If any controllers have any info on this it would be appreciated.

That's a good question. I wouldn't worry about the turbojet only note. Just make sure your GPS is in fact approved for the RNAV1 procedures (KLN90Bs are not) and if you fly part 135, be sure you have C063 approved and you're trained on it.

PJ

I think the 'Turbojet Only' applies to filing the route. If they clear you for such an arrival, I personally would question, but since they issued the routing clearance and if you can comply with the RNP as well as altitude/speed restrictions I would say go for it since they cleared you for that arrival.

What kind of turboprop are you in? There are arrivals that are Turbojet only, however, several Turboprops that are categorized as high-speed turboprops and to be grouped with Jets on the jet arrivals. All other props need to go on the prop arrivals.

(CVLT, DH8D, P180, etc. to name a few...)

Flying a B190 which is not a high speed turboprop at all. I have been surprised at how many controllers do not know what a B190 is. Gotta love it when you are told to maintain 250kts and Vmo is 247 and with our company power settings at low altitude the max is around 230 kias level. I guess I will just do the arrival if it is assigned. Thanks for the input.

What kind of GPS do you have in the 1900? Is it approved for RNAV1 procedures per AC90_100A? Here is a link to the Compliance Table. There are some inspectors out there that actually take that sort of thing seriously.

Dual GNS430W. Thanks for the link to the compliance table I had never seen that before.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back