RJ's and the WO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to burst anyones bubble... but

First off, their first and foremost priority is to spend what capital Group can obtain on obtaining EMB-170/5's for MDA. There is no other reason for the creation of Mid Atlantic other than the competitive advantage and operational restucturing that these large RJ's will enable. Dave S has staed in clear terms the urgency and necessity to get MDA up and running ASAP. He HAS NOT labeled the remaining WO's own aquisition of RJ equipment as time critical and has almost made a point NOT to say what is in store for the the three of us at all...

Dave S was quoted specifically that he wanted 40 a/c on the MDA property by the end of 2003. He was quoted a figure of near 60 aircraft at the "other express" carriers. Do not be so self absorbed to assume that that meant ALG, PDT, or PSA...

To be blunt, economic reality is that US Airways Group can only so much with the capital that is available. MDA will take priority now and into next few years. There is no "investor fairy" that will magically throw billions (yes, that is how much hundreds of RJ's cost) into US Airways for nothing. Years from now when US Airways has proven it's vitality and the economy is stronger there will be enough lenders willing to serve US Airways' needs with a simple lease or loan, but nowadays... Things are more complicated

If you need a more likely senario, an investor may already be planning to purchase/obtain all or part of ALG, PDT ,and PSA in return for providing the capital necessary to equip these carriers with RJ's over the next 5 years. Thus the sudden change in negotiating position of managment over sucessorship (which coincides with their current negotiations to finance a large RJ order).

We'll see, but remember if we get sold, there's no future flow anymore into anywhere:(

I agree with you that Mid Atlantic is U's first priority. However, I believe that jets will come to the wholly owneds first. It is almost certain that it will be erj's. If i am not mistake, the ERJ-170 is not certified yet in the US. Seigel has said that Mid Atlantic will fly the 70 seaters and the wholly owneds will get the 50 seats. I cant imagine that Seigel will wait for certification until he will get jets. I am not being self absorbed to think that the wholy owneds will get the jets. That comes straight from Seigel at the PIT roadshow. The only way a contract carrier will get jets is if there is no financing AND they agree to J4J. The "credit fairy" does exist. It is the US government. When U emerges from Ch. 11 (projected to be first quarter of next year), the US government will dump almost 1 billion dollars in loan guarentees to U. Current financing will be provided by Texas Pacific Investments, Credit Suisse, and Bank of America to name a few. U has plenty of capital available. And it is not like they will buy the airplanes. I am sure they will be able to get a nice lease agreement with the company wanting over 400 rjs.

Last edited:
400 jets

I think 400 jets is little high, who knows our fate at the WO's I'm hearing we may sold .One things for sure nothing good has happend here in a long time.There is not one thing good about that TA it sucks!Read Dakota's post a couple more times it hits the nail on the head.

Latest resources

Back