Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SammyG

I hope its big enough
(I used the search thing to see if a thread had already discussed this but did not find one)

I read in a magazine (can't remember which one, sorry) that the FAA is being really dumb about a rule they have at Newark.

Apparently, if I understand correctly, it was standard up until a little while back, to turn left after a Rwy 4R departure. For some reason, they decided that sometimes a right turn would now be desirable, but instead of changing the language in all the publications, the FAA decided to merely have the controllers inform the pilots of the change "just prior to takeoff".

To add insult, apparantly the FAA does not want the controllers to explain to the pilots the reasoning behind this, because it wastes time on the radio. So the pilots are to simply adhere to the instruction, and are subject to disciplinary action if they make the mistake, as apparently some already have, of making the left turn as has been the practice for so long.

Anyone have more info on this? I find this very interesting.

How about a right turn on takeoff from 22R instead of the published immediate left turn?

How about a right turn on takeoff from 22R instead of the published immediate left turn?

Yep thats the right one... Im EWR based and I was a little confused there. This last revision they added a new departure to EWR (Liberty 1) which has the various headings in terms of "climbs" a la JFK and LGA. So just watch the clearances and PDC's for the new dept procedure.

The idea is that they can move more departures by having them fly 2 or 3 separate headings vs one path. If the planes are flying in 2 or 3 seperate directions they no need as much spacing on departure.

Latest resources

Back