Riding on USAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too funny

The difference is I can carry on a conversation, or hear my music, or sleep with an ad stuck on the tray table or overhead bin doors or whatever.

It's crazy that they get to get on the PA and FORCE you to listen to an infomercial! I have no problem with a printed ad anywhere on the plane. Put the McDonalds arches on the rudder for all I care. But don't prop my eyes up with toothpicks and blare propaganda from the loudspeaker in a confined, enclosed place. It's BS and should be illegal.

That would be funny. Who would be the first airline to pull that one off?

So, I commuted to work today on US Air. Rode on mainline first leg (A320), then an RJ run by PSA.

I got a complaint and would like to see what ya'll think:

Where do they get off making me sit through a five and a half minute "infomercial" for their stupid USAir MasterCard?

I don't think it's fair that they lock you into a metal tube and FORCE you to listen to an advertisement for their crap. I can't think of any other place where it's okay to force someone to listen to your commercial. If I'm watching TV and an ad comes on I can change channels or even turn it off. If I'm at the movies and a commercial is in the trailers I can at least walk out. Printed ads I can simply ignore. My point is I have options.

How is it okay for them to put you in a place where you can not escape and blast their nonsense over the PA?

Oh, and that's another point. It's the PA right? Every flight they tell you that "FAA regulations REQUIRE ALL passengers to comply with crewmembers instructions". So now it's a federal law that I listen to their infomercial? How is that right?

Who could you even complain to? USAir? Master Card? The FAA? My congressmen? Some advertising watchdog group? I don't know, I just don't think it's right. There should be a law.

So, what do ya'll think?

So you "Rode on" an A320 and were "forced to listen" to a marketing pump? Uh, huh. If you flew for a real frac, you might have actually flown some of the execs who created the marketing relationships between their banks and the airlines.
Can you imagine the conversation between LAX-SFO:
Mr. Big Bucks:"I really like this Piaggio."
Glasspilot: "Me too. So, what do you do, Mr. Big Bucks?"
Mr. Big Bucks: "Well, I am the Senior Marketing Director for MasterCard. I decide where we spend our money. The airlines have been very lucrative for us, especially US Airways. You might have noticed the advertising campaign on the airlines."
Glass Pilot: "Well, I have to tell you that I can't stand advertisements, the airlines, or heck, even taxi cabs-they all have ads in them."
Mr. Big Bucks: "OK, I respect that Mr. Glass, however, I have to tell you that the only reason I am providing your company business is simply due to to the success of our marketing campaign."
Unfortunately the response will be: "Yeah, Mr. Big Bucks: But I still shouldn't have to be "FORCED" to sit through your ADS."
Jesus H, man. You better hope your company doesn't fly for anyone associated with MasterCard, nor anyone who advertises in the public domain.
Do you really have any idea who butters your bread?

So you're saying Mr. Big Bucks butters my bread...
Like you said, I guess it's good I don't work for a "real frac" so I won't run into Mr. Big Bucks.

...but if I don't work for Mr. Big Bucks then he doesn't butter my bread, making your whole post retarded.

Maybe you should be quiet while the big people talk. Got your helmet?

Last edited:
The difference is I can carry on a conversation, or hear my music, or sleep with an ad stuck on the tray table or overhead bin doors or whatever.

It's crazy that they get to get on the PA and FORCE you to listen to an infomercial! I have no problem with a printed ad anywhere on the plane. Put the McDonalds arches on the rudder for all I care. But don't prop my eyes up with toothpicks and blare propaganda from the loudspeaker in a confined, enclosed place. It's BS and should be illegal.

This is no different than being barraged by ads in a movie theater nowadays. I HATE sitting through ads at a cinema--I mean, they already nicked you for $10 for a ticket plus the $5 shot glass of soda!

I fly US Air three legs last week. PHL-CLT and CLT-AVL same day and then BTV-PHL another day. No a single leg had any ads about credit cards or other "stuff".

I thought years ago from seeing ads on buses and knew that airliners could do the same thing. The empty space on traytable (top and bottom) and the back of the seat when the tray table is down is a great space. Companies from credit cards, parks, restaurants, and other companies could use the space. Of course the airline would gain from the income. Maybe then they would not have to charge for drinks or pillows.
Hell, we have the credit folks selling or pushing the cards in the terminal. It's funny how they don't approach me when in uniform, but I am a paying pax. Not in uniform they try and stop me to sign up. I should go up one day (in uniform), try to sign up for a card and see what they say. Only if they offer a cool gift!!

The biggest joke is the "free trip" you get with the 25,000 mile sign up bonus. Have you tried to use your miles lately? Been able to get any free trips for 25,000? I haven't. It's always 50,000 or cash and miles deals or something else. Last trip I tried to get for free was 30,000 AND $173, or buy the ticket for $267. They aren't worth much these days.

The biggest joke is the "free trip" you get with the 25,000 mile sign up bonus. Have you tried to use your miles lately? Been able to get any free trips for 25,000? I haven't. It's always 50,000 or cash and miles deals or something else. Last trip I tried to get for free was 30,000 AND $173, or buy the ticket for $267. They aren't worth much these days.

I actually did, but since it's an international flight it was 60K points on Delta (Philly to San Jose, Costa Rica) only paid for taxes and fees. So, a roundtrip ticket for $47. Oh yeah, my hotel stay at a Hilton property, all-inclusive on the Pacific coast on points too.

There are tickets domestic only for 25K points out there on some carriers and on some days. Ya must be flexible. If I took different flights on same days then I could have gone for 47,500 points roundtrip. Didn't want to return to Philly near midnite.

Latest resources

Back