Rhoades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EatSleepFly

Do those Convairs at BAK ever fly? And is that a DC-3 in the hangar with windows?

Anyone ever fly for them?

I don't want to, just curious. I've picked up freight there a few times lately and it's like a ghost town. Of course, usually it's 2am, but even during the day...

I don't think they have flown in a while. Last fall when I was picking up freight there I asked the line guy and he made it sound like they were just on static display. A couple of weeks ago when I was there picking up freight I was about 2-3 hours early, since it was either sit on the cargo ramp in SDF or go to BAK, the place was locked up, and I ended falling asleep on the ground outside the doors. Wow I feel like a real looser now.

Last edited:
I'm from the Columbus, IN area and from what I have heard recently the things haven't flown for quite some time. This is a good thing. I last heard that Rhoades had a couple Lears they were chartering.

Freightdog99 said:
A couple of weeks ago when I was there picking up freight I was about 2-3 hours early, since it was either sit on the cargo ramp in SDF or go to BAK, the place was locked up, and I ended falling asleep on the ground outside the doors. Wow I feel like a real looser now.

How 'bout that guy that runs the forklift in the middle of the night? He's dangerous with that thing! Plus it takes him forever.

Don't feel bad. I carry a sleeping bag and little pillow on a lot of trips. Throw it out on the floor in the back, use the inlet covers as padding and take a snooze.

Anyways, thanks for the responses!

Rhoades is a pretty dead place, and definatly what they use to be. The Dart Convairs are not flying, but rumors are they are trying to get the 640's on line again(i'll believe it when I see it...)

About the only thing they have flying is a turbine DC-3, and I hear it out from time to time. Last time I checked it did not have de-ice equippment, so it's really a seasonal airplane. It did fly in Africa, then they brought it back to drop smoke jumpers. I guess they lost that contract also.

They do have a 421 and Lear 35(I think...) on a 135 ticket that flies from time to time, but that's about it.

I knew alot of the guys who were there, and they have all moved on. Jack Rhoades is in bad health, and I say when he passes the company will fold for sure.

I worked for RDS from 08-94 to 06-96. I happened to be in BAK for a wedding this past weeked and stopped by the airport. A lot was the same except for the fact that the only flying airplane was the 402. They also do pilot service in a Lear 35A. The 310 has been on jacks for a year and a half. Two turbine and one round motor Convairs were not flyable and the turbine 3 was going through maintenance. It was sad to see one of the 3's I used to fly sitting on the Cummins ramp minus engines and flight controls. During my stay we had three DC-3's, a turbine 3 in Kenya, 5 round motor Convairs, a 421, 402 and 310. Also did pilot service in a Citation. It was a great place to cut your teeth but I'm glad I've moved on. It's the kind of job you need when you are 24 years old and single.

bump.

bump.

crapola

Latest resources

Back