Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LJDRVR

Hey Folks,

There was a post a few weeks ago containing various speculation concerning which individual has the most T-38 flight time. I've got the answer from an un-impeachable source, and we were all wrong. The answer?

John Young, with over 9,000 hours of Aircraft Commander time in that Northrop product.

Makes sense, as he's still current, and has been flying them for over 41 years. (219 hours a year)

Charlie Zwick (SP?) is next with around 8000. (A career NASA IP/Research Pilot)
I met him once in Lake Chuck LA. Nice guy.

There you have it.

John Young...

I met John Young once during a flight into Williams Gateway Airport in Phoenix, AZ. We were stopping for a gas and go, as was JY and his partner. Nice guy...but I gotta tell ya, he was looking pretty frail! We were all a little surprised that he was still flying based on his physical condition.

But hey, he still gets to fly T-38s...not a bad thing...

Fly Safe!
FastCargo

High time T-38 hours, part II

That's great! I grew up just a few blocks from JY in the Clear Lake area of Houston.
However, there is still one question remaining from the original post: who has the most T-38 hours of anyone still actively flying in the active duty, reserve, or guard? From what I've seen, and received on private emails, there's no one left that has over 3000 hours. Is this really true?
Thse NASA guys just never seem to stop flying the -38! What a great jet!!

One of my IP's in 38's retired with 7400 hours or so. That was in Spring of 2002.

I guess that doesn't really help much with who is currently flying though.

Latest resources

Back