Returning to the US scenario

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Piloto Chido

I've done some searches on this topic, but haven't found much info.

In a nutshell, you've been residing overseas as an expatriate, and you return to the States, then you'll have to spend at least 5 consecutive years here before you can fly with a carrier that does postal or other US government contracts. This would include FDX, UPS, some of the ACMIs, and possibly some pax airlines. At least that's how I understand it.

It seems like ALOT of companies would fall under that umbrella- even the pax airlines that haul postal stuff. BTW, I'm not an exPAT myself, but I know of a few guys who are 'over there' that would eventually like to come back to CONUS.

Curious as to which airlines are subject to the 5 year rule, and/or where I might be able to find more info.

Gracias,

El Piloto

I have wondered the same thing myself. I have been overseas for almost 4 years now and have wondered about trying to come back to the US, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Just searching the different companies online, Fedex and UPS are the only ones that I have seen that actually list it as a requirement. I would be interested to know though.

How about someone working overseas but is still a resident in the states?

If you mean, for example, a guy who flies for Cathay and is able to reside in the US, I think he's okay. However, if he moves to Hong Kong, becomes an expat resident (foreign address, US tax exempt status, ect.) then he/she is subject to the rule. That's how I understand it.

Fed Ex is still hard core on living overseas. It has to do with the postal contract. I think all the other cargo and ACMI carriers and PAX carriers don't really care where you live.

FedEx is the only carrier I know stating the 5 years US residency requirement. Many of their OWN pilots would not qualify to be a new-hire, as many of them live overseas. Atlas/World/Evergreen/Southern/Kalitta/National, etc....none of them have this requirement, as far as I have read.

cliff
GRB

Were can I find the actual federal law that prohibits a U.S. citizen from working for one of these carriers that is requiring a continous five year residency back home? Or is this a company requirment? Very interested in this topic, fill me in.

Were can I find the actual federal law that prohibits a U.S. citizen from working for one of these carriers that is requiring a continous five year residency back home? Or is this a company requirment? Very interested in this topic, fill me in.

I have heard it is only Fed Ex's interpretation of their duty as a postal carrier. No other carriers have the restriction and many carriers fly contract mail. Fed Ex though has the disputed and controversial postal contract good through 2018. This bid was awarded to Fed Ex with NO bids provided by other carriers, just simply awarded by the post master general to Fed EX. Just realize as an Ex Pat you are ineligible for employment for Fed Ex if you have worked overseas in the last 3 years.

Latest resources

Back