Return to Active Duty Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SFOA320

(Please forgive if questions already asked & answered.)

1. If return to active duty, will military pay for move to duty station?

2. What if they've lost your medical records?

3. Do I get new flight suits, or do I have to patch up the old ones that I have? :)

4. Anyone interested in buying a home in Reno? ('Cuz I know I'm headed back to the SE USof A.)

Sigh.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -- Thomas Edison

To answer your questions as best as I can figure (I'm in the process of heading back active for a few years): 1. Yes, they will pay for your PCS to your duty station (and back home again if your only do one tour!), 2. If you've lost your medical records, they'll have you complete a full long physical and then you'll build a new set from scratch from there (unless they can find your stuff in the VA vault in St. Louis), 3. Your new unit's pretty cheap if they can't ante up for some new suits, and 4. Can't help you, I'm headed for Del Rio, Texas (voluntarily, if you can believe that). Hope that answers your questions and good luck if you decide to go that way. If you only got bumped down to the Airbus, sounds like you may survive (I'm assuming you're United). I'm hoping not too many beyond the March cut lose jobs. I got the axe from UAL on Halloween and figure the steady military income can't hurt until we get back on our feet again.

Good luck

Thanks for the info.

Yes, UAL. Expect to surplus to 737 momentarily, if oh-so-lucky enough to miss 4/1 possible furlough.

And if it's back to USAF, that'll be OK too. Will go the 5 1/2 more years to retirement & then see what the world has turned into.

Just trying to get all the facts as the decision time is probably here. (And my wife wanted to know if it's time to mend the flight suits.) :eek:

Nothing wrong with Del Rio!

Thx.

SFOA320,

Hack's post was right on target. I think I was one of the first people to go through the process. Overall, it was pretty easy. I flew Tweets at Laughlin for 4 years prior to punching. Now I'm at Vance. They've treated me like a king here. I was/am very pleasantly surprised at the leadership's willingness to accept me back.

The only odd thing about the process was that Vance didn't know I was coming. Everyone from MPF to my squadron was caught off guard. For that reason I had to do a little more than the normal footwork following a PCS. Since I separated, the AF has changed to a new personnel data base system. It's kind of a mess right now according to the MPF folks. If you return you'll have to be manually paid for a while until they get your info in the new system. Fortunately, the MPF folks here are awesome and have gone overboard to ensure I'm taken care of. I'm going to take a 3 year bonus, but can't until my info gets updated. No worries though. AFPC said they'd backdate my bonus to my first day back on AD since it's a data base system problem.

Good luck and I sure hope we (UAL) don't furlough anyone else. I sure miss flying the 200 out of ORD, but I'm happy to have a great job again.

Cheers,

Tweetybird

PS: Hack, enjoy DLF. Get a boat or jet ski for the lake!

SFOA320,

I am also in the same boat. I got the UAL axe in October. The AF has offered me a T-6 to Moody. The longest part of my process was the physical. I had to coordinate with AFPC and WV ANG to get it. Once the exam was complete, AFPC was able to cut me orders. It is suppose to take approximately 30 days to complete everything.

Unfortunately, I can not buy your home in Reno. Although, I have a great house in D.C. I will make you an offer on.

Good Luck
Max

For those of you that are back in. What was the time frame from the time your package was in to orders in hand. I started in Dec..package complete end of Jan..Ascession medical folks approved my medical stuff on 12 Feb(stuff is suppose to be at Accessions board since then) ...now I wait burning cards and AT days

dog,
I just got my orders finally squared away last week and am probably in around the same timeframe you are. I started in December, but didn't push things due to a Major's board I'm met in the Reserves last month (wanted to get promoted on a board less intolerant to a DOS from active duty). Got the medical done in January and the biggest problem for me was being released from the Reserves. AFPC sent the Reserves a request to release me to Active Duty on the 3rd week of January and they didn't get a response until last week of February. Normally, I'm told this takes around 2 weeks. From there, my package met whatever board they had at Accessions (took around 3 days) and then sent me a letter of intent. Once that's back to them, they can cut orders in a couple of days. For me, it was about a week between release from Reserves and orders, but I was pushing pretty hard to get orders while I was doing Reserve duty so I could get housing and some other issues taken care of. I'm a Reservist at the same base where I'm going active, so it was pretty easy. I think the best thing to do is call AFPC once a week so they know your name. Good luck with things and it seems those guys at AFPC are trying to help, once you can actually talk to a person.

Hack

Thanks Hack,

I've been making my weekly pest call the past few weeks. Supposely everthing has been approved, and should receive the letter of intent next week. This according to the flesh peddler at MPC. we'll see...He says I'll be back active 1 April. Time will tell.

FYI: OSA assignments are possible

I flew C9s on active from '92 - '95 and have been flying F.R.E.D. ever since (5yrs active, 1 1/2yrs reserve). I sent in the online form to AFPC in January. Told them I was only willing to go back on active for a C9 to Yokota. Just got the call from AFPC earlier this month with an assignment. Supposed to go to training at Scott end of April and PCS overseas in July.
Good luck to all.

Good to hear OSA is still a possibility. Wonder if there's any hope for the "prime location" assignments. Doubt they're giving out to many C-21s to Peterson, etc. Good luck with Yokota and hopefully we'll all be back with UAL in a few years.

Hack

Latest resources

Back