Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

taxicabdriver

disgruntled employee
I was wondering what happens when you retire from a major concerning your health insurance. Do any companies currently continue to pay anything towards your premiums or is it all up to you at that point? I am really intersted in CAL, FEDX, or UPS, but just wondering what industry standard is.
Thanks

Can't speak for the companies you asked about, but can offer a point of comparison:

NetJets' union contract provides a retiree who retires on or after his 62nd birthday, and with 11 or more years of service with the same benefits current pilots have. Cost ranges from 45% of the premium for an employee with at least 11 years of service, down to 0% for one with at least 20 years in.

This stays in effect until the pilot is eligible for Medicare part A & B.

Last edited:
CAL Pilots can buy "Bridge " Medical after retirement until medicare takes effect.

The amount varies by location.

If a Pilot retires with sick hours unused, he can use these to pay the premiums.

If a Pilot retires with sick hours unused, he can use these to pay the premiums.

Sweet. That should be in every CBA.

I'm pretty sure that United leaves you high and dry; haven't bothered researching it since I plan on using Retiree Tricare.

AA still has retiree medical (I doubt they will when I retire at 65... ;) ) but it's expensive relative to the active pilot premiums. TC

Latest resources

Back