• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement Projections for 2011

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Work until 65, and then die within 3 or 4 years. You can't take it with you.

Go spend time with family, friends and loved ones.

Last edited:
+1....I fly with alot of over age 60 guys, and I have come to the conclusion after talking with many of them that they would die in the seat before they retire. To top it off, some are multi-millionaires by my estimate. Oh well, that's the way it is.

"Look I only need 1-2 more years to make up what was taken from me. After that I swear I am getting the heck out of here." :rolleyes:

They'll retire and die early, flying big iron across the pond at that age does things to the body. I always love jumpseating on xxx airline when there's a super duper old guy in the left seat talking about his awesome T-6, his corvettes, his harleys, his lake house, his horses, whatever. I don't hear about their grandkids or kids, nor do I see rings on those fingers. Comes a point boys when you gotta hang it up. Allbeit you mis-managed your finances and were retarded with your personal lives, for that, we younger pilots have to work harder. I'll happily poor a scotch on your graves, right after urinating on it.

They'll retire and die early, flying big iron across the pond at that age does things to the body. I always love jumpseating on xxx airline when there's a super duper old guy in the left seat talking about his awesome T-6, his corvettes, his harleys, his lake house, his horses, whatever. I don't hear about their grandkids or kids, nor do I see rings on those fingers. Comes a point boys when you gotta hang it up. Allbeit you mis-managed your finances and were retarded with your personal lives, for that, we younger pilots have to work harder. I'll happily poor a scotch on your graves, right after urinating on it.

Wow, that's cold, funny but cold. It's Thanksgiving, be happy... say something nice

Anyone over age 60 that's still flying has either bills or are unable to see themselves breathing without epaulets on. Either way we're not getting any of them to retire until they have to.

And then after they are forced to retire from the airlines, they still find other flying jobs. If seeing a hunched over old timer entering the cockpit bugs you because you want upgrade, have a better schedule, or a larger plane don't come over to the fractionals. Over here, we got tons of "retirees". And in our industry, with no retirement age, you can fly til you die. And it has happened. Not in the cockpit yet, thank God, but on overnights and such.

On a different note, I do feel bad for the guys who lost their pensions. They wanted to retire, had it all planned out and they were robbed. I wouldn't want that to happen to me and I understand their plight.

It's the guys that wont retire because they are "bored", "can't stand being home with the wife", or they are staying on so they can buy more "toys", are the ones that get on my nerves.

I intend to save my shekels, pay off all my debts and prepare for the inevitable OH CRAP my airline is gonna eat it day! If that doesn't happen, I can work until I no longer enjoy it, knowing a bad enough day can end with me walking away having told someone exactly how felt about the situation and I be done with it all.

Personal financial security = Real Ultimate Powa!

Latest resources

Back