Retirement Numbers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PFTEXPJET

The following are total retirement numbers for Delta/NWA, CAL, AA and United airlines, as posted on this web board. Does anyone have the retirement numbers for USAirways, Southwest, Airtran, Jetblue, Fedex, UPS, Atlas, World, Alaska, Hawaiian, NetJets? Please only post the numbers. Thanks!

2009 - 6
2010 - 13
2011 - 15
2012 - 299
2013 - 695
2014 - 892
2015 - 939
2016 - 964
2017 - 1110
2018 - 1258
2019 - 1449
2020 - 1635
2021 - 1957
2022 - 2016
2023 - 2108
2024 - 2047
2025 - 2081
2026 - 2011
2027 - 1780
2028 - 1767
2029 - 1654
2030 - 1240
2031 - 975
2032 - 347
2033 - 271

Last edited:
You won't find any for NetJets that project out to the future since there is no mandatory retirement age for the fractionals. There are some guys in their 70s still flying around, but with the early out we did have one 26 year old "retire".

You won't find any for NetJets that project out to the future since there is no mandatory retirement age for the fractionals. There are some guys in their 70s still flying around, but with the early out we did have one 26 year old "retire".

Have you guys ever had a pilot die of old age out on the road?

There have been at least two NJA pilots who have died on the road that I know of. One was in his 30s or 40s and died at his hotel from a blood clot. The other I know of died in Mexico of a massive heart attack while preflighting the airplane. The company went so far as to fly one of the BBJs down with his family members to bring him back. I think he was in his 50s, but neither case has really been a problem of old age. The really old guys I've flown with have been more fit and seemed more mentally sharp than most of the guys in their 30s (including me). I haven't met all the geezers so I can't say that is the case for each and every one, but if you are still flying around and humping bags when you are that old, you are probably in pretty descent shape. My guess is the most likely guys to die on the road are the guys in their 40s and 50s who are eating 4 crew meals a day and not exercising- there are way too many of those guys that are going to probably lose their medicals if they don't get their act together soon.

There have been at least two NJA pilots who have died on the road that I know of. One was in his 30s or 40s and died at his hotel from a blood clot. The other I know of died in Mexico of a massive heart attack while preflighting the airplane. The company went so far as to fly one of the BBJs down with his family members to bring him back. I think he was in his 50s, but neither case has really been a problem of old age. The really old guys I've flown with have been more fit and seemed more mentally sharp than most of the guys in their 30s (including me). I haven't met all the geezers so I can't say that is the case for each and every one, but if you are still flying around and humping bags when you are that old, you are probably in pretty descent shape. My guess is the most likely guys to die on the road are the guys in their 40s and 50s who are eating 4 crew meals a day and not exercising- there are way too many of those guys that are going to probably lose their medicals if they don't get their act together soon.

R.I.P. "Harley" He was in his mid-thirties, when he had a blood clot. Super Individual.

Latest resources

Back