• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement Age and Lifespan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, unless I've screwed up my math, I'm 22 right now. I doubt I'll feel too differently in ten years - I've spent a fair chunk of my life around old guys who are desperate for the extra five years not just because of the money, but because flying is still what they want to do. I identify much more with that crowd than with the guys around my age who think they've got their whole career planned out until retirement day. But I'm willing to consider the idea that I'll be jaded in ten years. Even if that happens, nobody's forcing me to work until 65. If I've got to spend a couple more years in the right seat to have the option open to me, then I'm willing to do that. That said, your retirement plan sounds a lot more appealing than those of most outgoing 59-year-olds I've talked to...

Last edited:
Huck, Falconjet and others are right.

22 year old potato, you are a kid. You will feel differently when you are 32. A really great family life and a few toys make you miss your home more than you can imagine. But congrads on getting where you are at so young.

Well, thanks. I know I'm young, but I know I prefer my year of airline work to my eight years of professional drudgery on the ground.

FJ, my whole point is that I don't know anything at 22, and it would be nice to have the extra five years in my pocket if and when my career employer screws me. If I'm still on the site in ten years, I'll keep you guys posted on my slide into professional ennui. In the meantime, I earned my place here at the bottom of the ladder, and the idea of retirement before my time doesn't sit well with me. It also doesn't sit well with the crop of 59-year-olds we're getting rid of now, or the ones we've gotten rid of in recent history. Of course, I know people don't listen to you if you're too old, either.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back