• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Retirement Age and Lifespan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are in great shape and it won't happen to me. BS. Our disrupted sleep patterns, pressure cycles, exposure to radiation and crappy road food probably make these stats worse.

Speak for yourself. Over at "my house" we fly AM's or PM's. Bid on what suits your fancy. No disrupted sleep patterns here.

What's this crappy road food you talk about....what kinds of places does your company put you up at? Here at one hotel in one of our west Texas layovers, we get 50% off on a very nice Rib-Eye steak with all the trimmings. At another we have a Shula's retaurant in the hotel.

Pressure cycles, and exposure to radiation? If it was that bad, the medical research community would be up in arms, there would be congressional hearings and people would be running from this profession.

Lets not get over excited.

That old "study" is now considered worthless and invalid.

http://www.speea.org/general_info/files/life.htm

http://home.att.net/~coachthee/Archives/longevityvsretirementage.html

"The most controversial part of the old Boeing retiree data is that it shows that for every year one works beyond age 55, one loses 2 years of life span on average for the age at retirement ranging from 55 to 65.
The older study indicated that the Boeing experience was that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. These controversial statements may be applicable only to the older generations of retirees in the composite old Boeing retiree data. The current generation of working people in the 21st century is enjoying average life spans much longer than those of older generations in the composite old Boeing retiree data. With this understanding of time dependent life span, the current generation of working people should not be stunned by the exaggerated and distorted statement above but could express their sympathy to those older generations of people who had much shorter life spans such that they got burned out much earlier in the age range from 55 to 65.

Retirement vs. Life Expectancy

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is a popular myth that one dies sooner if one continues to work rather than take early retirement. Over the years, misleading charts have been circulated around Boeing showing that the later one retires, the lower the average age at death. These graphs give the impression that working longer leads to an earlier death. The charts that circulate usually show that an employee who retires at age 65 receives an average 18 monthly checks before dying. Even though these charts are incorrect, they continue to circulate around the company every couple of years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SPEEA recently received an updated chart from Boeing showing the status of retirees under the heritage Boeing Company Employee Retirement Plan (see chart depicting January 1, 2000 data). Each point in the plot represents a retiree. The X-axis shows the age at retirement. The Y-axis shows one of two things: If the retiree is still alive, it shows how many years the employee has been retired. If the retiree has died, it shows how many years the employee lived during retirement. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This chart shows that those who retire at age 65 live much longer than the myth of "18 months". In fact, many who retire at 65 live many years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Some of the points gather together in vertical columns: there are vertical columns of points at age 55, 62 and 65. These correspond to when early retirement is first possible ... when Social Security may be first paid ... and when Social Security is fully payable. There is also a less distinct clumping at age 60, when the Boeing benefit is unreduced. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The points also gather in two horizontal lines. One at 0 "years since retirement". These are generally employees in poor health who retire and immediately pass away. The other horizontal line is at 4.5 years since retirement. This line is caused by the early retirement window that was offered in 1995 which was very popular. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Finally, there are points that show retirement before age 55--these are disability retirements. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I'm sure you guys all realize that both the new and old "data" exist only to appease the crop of decision-makers that happens to be in charge at the time. The data is massaged until it looks pretty. Since they used to want to back up the Age 60 rule, they've done that in the past. Now that the wind has changed, the numbers are suddenly very favorable for late retirement. If you think flying is that hazardous to your health, nobody's stopping you from retiring at 60. Even if you don't want to go to 65, you're dreaming if you're still counting on a big fat pension at the 60 mark.

Pilots are living longer past retirement because the chain-smoking, alcoholic senior captain is as much a thing of the past as the TWA 707 he used to fly. Age 60 isn't protecting anyone except junior FOs and regional pilots looking to move up. As a member of that demographic, I'd rather fly the extra five years.

Here at one hotel in one of our west Texas layovers, we get 50% off on a very nice Rib-Eye steak with all the trimmings. At another we have a Shula's retaurant in the hotel.

Believe it or not eating a ribeye steak with all the typical super fatty/salty restaurant side dishes isn't even close to healthy. It's often worse than fast food.

As a member of that demographic, I'd rather fly the extra five years.

Speak for yourself. And it ain't 5 more years at the top, it's 5 more years in that 1900 right seat..

Do you honestly believe that? I'll be out of the 1900 right seat in a matter of months, thanks. And I'm tired of other members of my age group speaking for me. I'll be content if I never make it to the mythical "top," as a lot of career airline pilots haven't. The anti-65 argument has been swallowed by a lot of people who are convinced they'll be building seniority at the same airline for their whole careers. Bad news, guys - most pilots don't. Did you sleep through the collapse of TWA? Pan-Am? Eastern? Do you think every one of the current carriers will still be here thirty years from now? As we are all so fond of saying, the industry is cyclical, and what's old will be new again. The idea of having to restart at a new airline with Age 60 breathing down my neck is far more daunting to me than the idea of never making senior captain on the 777 fleet. Pensions as we knew them are gone, guys. I'd take five years of earning potential over the promise of a fat pension any day. Plus, there's that whole "love what I'm doing" part of the job that a lot of people seem to ignore. It's strange that the youngest guys in the industry are the ones whining the loudest about their right to retire early.

My extra five years won't be on the top or the bottom, it will be somewhere in the middle. And so will just about everyone else's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back