• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nocturnal1

Master of the Cowbell
Hey All,
Just wondering if anyone out there has been successful getting into the "Retired to Reserve" program. I've tried 3 different times and all units seem to think it's unworkable or too much hassle with the reg requirements. Even tried talking to Reserve HQ recruiters, no SME's.

Looking at flying any heavy/cargo/trainer a/c. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try the Guard

I have a package in with the Guard. It isn't a flying job, but my paperwork is at the Sec Def Office.

With the current amount of Furloughs the Flying positions are full up.
Plus if you are a LtCol, most units don't want to touch you. I do know of one T-6 Reserve pilot (it took him 7 months) and a C-130 reserve dude. Both applied before 9-11. Both will not be able to serve very long in the Reserve because Majors can only serve 24 years Commisioned service and LTCol only 26 years.

I have over six years enlisted and I retired a major with 14 years commisioned service. I can do another 10 years if I want as a Major. I do have a KC-135 Reserve unit that wants to hire me as a Major once my Guard unit gets all the paperwork through.

Most units don't want to do the paperwork even if they knew how to.

Nocturnal1,

I have a squadron mate that retired a couple of years ago and is going through IPUG at Luke as we speak. You could try calling the 308th FS at 623-856-5800 and axe for "Hutch" Starkey. He has been working this thing since it was announced but only recently got it to work. I don't think it is easy, but if you have FTU time in the Viper Luke needs lots of help and you might have a shot there regardless of your rank.

Ciao Gumby

Latest resources

Back