Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ivauir

SNIKT!
Boys and girls of the pool (and those poolside)
- the first week of LUV has flown by. The guys in the April 7th class are great, and everyone in DAL has treated us unimaginably well.
I like to pass on a little information that may be useful, but I am sorry to report that they did not give us enough to start any good rumors.
First off, for those wondering what to study - SWA will send you a fantastic package with boxed items, flows, memory items etc. I do not recommend much beyond the boxed and memory items. Looking at the cockpit layout is probably a good idea to refresh your memory, but there is no point in memorizing your old -200 stuff and no need to audit a course. I feel pretty good having the basics down.
As previously posted, be ready to spend some dough. I went pretty cheap and I still spent about 600 in the first week on uniforms and stuff. I elected to wait on the leather jacket, they are very cool, but expensive and not required - maybe after my probabtion check. If you can pack some breakfast bars or the like that will help - the hotel offers a discount, but it isn't cheap and breakfast is not worth what they charge. Ask for a fridge and microwave the minute you check in If you can drive - do it. You'll save in the long run by eating away from the hotel.
Our class is about 50% military/civilian (all dudes) all in our 30's and 40's. Most are married and brought wives for the first two days.
In terms of the future at SWA there is nothing new to report - but I'll reiterate the latest news for those not up to speed:
- currently over 80 out on military leave
- 416 airplane orders over next 10 years
- with options could be 750 :D
- we continue to enjoy a cost advantage over all other carriers
- even the other LCCs (over comperable routes)

There was NO talk of an explosion of hiring. My impression is that this very slow pace will continue as needed. It was stated that they'd evalute their needs every two weeks and make a decision about hiring then. My guess is that for the pace to pick up to pre 9-11 levels will requre either a better economy, or an "industry changing event" (collapse of UAL?). I am sorry there is no real news - but let's face it - this is a company that can keep secrets - before the new canyon blue paint scheme came out nobody knew anything about it. The next day there were posters everywhere. A lot of people had to be tightlipped for that to happen.
That being said they have airplanes coming and someone is going to fly them. Someone told my wife, that they've already ordered a plane for me to captain.
I know the wait is frustrating - but it is worth it. I'd rather spend the 17 months I tredded in the pool and know that I just started my last job, then have them grow too fast and end up furloughed.
All of you poolies and future poolies keep the faith! The folks in DAL eagerly await your arrival!

Last edited:
Aren't you supposed to be studying?? :)

If you guys are at all considering driving to DAL I would recommend it. No restraunts or convience stores within walking distance of the hotel although the shuttle does a run to the mall on Sundays.

And bring your significant other if possible. Allot of info to process during the first 2 days of class.

Great Thread.

I have been invited to the April 21st class but have not yet seen the package since my current company has me on a double rotation flying all over the globle. It seems I will not get stateside until the 17th.

I sure would appreciate any feedback on the following:

How many weeks is training?

Does training extend through the weekends? If not, is it worth going home?

Do we get paid while in training?

Are we all staying at the same hotel?

During my conversation with the CP, he told me not to stress out and study too much prior to class. I told him I had the Pass Flashcards. He told me to not worry about the cards and wait until class begins. Comments?

The CP told me suits for the first two days, then business casual.
What is SWA's definition of business casual?

Are you all having fun?

Can't Wait!!!

Congrats on starting class, guys!

One suggestion, take it for what it's worth...

You won't have any need of a leather jacket for the next several months, but when November/December/January roll around, even if you're based in sunny PHX or OAK, you'll still have the occassional plane change (i.e. walkaround) in MDW or overnight in BUF, and you'll want some warmth. The cloth jacket isn't really enough, unfortunately. The nice thing about the jacket is that with the epaulets & nametag removed, it doubles as your jacket during the overnight, so you don't have to pack one.

I highly recommend getting the zip-out lining... it adds a lot of warmth -- even enough for walking in from the crashpad in cold Chicago winters, but if you couldn't remove it, the jacket would be a bit too warm for fall/spring weather.

Yeah, it is some $, but hey, it's "payroll deductible!" (inside joke). Something to consider when fall starts to arrive.

Congrats again on starting class!

For Bally, "business casual" would be a polo shirt, khakis, and any shoes less casual than sneakers (though I don't thing they've ever shot anybody who came in wearing a decent t-shirt, jeans & tennis shoes). If you can get home in one flight from DAL, there will be some weekends that you can get home Friday night & return Sunday... if you're making connections it'd start to get a little problematic (though you can ride cockpit jumpseat from about day 2 -- as soon as you have your ID). In fact, you'll have some number of required cockpit observation rides to do -- 2 birds with one stone if you can get them on the way to/from home on the weekends you have off. Yes, you do get paid while in training; I'll let the guys who've gone through it recently speak to the "how much."

Looking forward to seeing you guys on board,

Snoopy

Bally,

What corporate outfit are you flying for now? I'd love to get my hands on that BBJ! Where can I send a resume?

Save your money for 1-2-3...

Don't get that zip out liner, the jacket is warm enough. Keep in mind that it takes like 5-6 weeks to get your jacket in the mail. This is coming from a guy that flys out of MDW, I have not been cold once with my jacket (without the liner).

Great Stuff

Bally said:
Great Thread.
How many weeks is training?
Does training extend through the weekends? If not, is it worth going home?
Are we all staying at the same hotel?
The CP told me suits for the first two days, then business casual.
What is SWA's definition of business casual?
Can't Wait!!!

The info in the package says we'll have 20 days of ground school. The "gound school" actually begins on Wednesday, 23 April (Monday and Tuesday considered INDOC).

No ground school training on weekends. After ground school, 3 CPT's, 4 sims a LOFT and a checkride (did that from memory, don't have the package in front me, but I think it's accurate).

With regard to attire for the first two days I was told by one of the gals in the people dept that jacket and tie was acceptable (vs "suit"). Any comments on that from those that have been there?

With regard to the "party" I was told to expect it to be about 1800 on 20 April in one of the hotel meeting rooms. Can any of you Apr 7 guys confirm that?

Looking forward to meeting all you former (and soon to be former)rats on 20 Apr.

Got my fingers crossed for those May classess!!!

:)

April 21st Class

For the guys in the 21st class,

I live the big D and will have my truck (planning on staying at the hotel durring the week), I can give 2-3 guys a ride to class, ect.

I'm also curious about the suit thing on the first two days because I only own one suit, jacket and tie one day would be nice.

T

Suits it is

7th April class all wore exactly the same suits as we wore for the interview. (All except one, but I won't mention any names:) ) There was not a jkt and tie outfit to be seen.
My advice is;
1. Pack light
2. Get your significant other to take your suit and coordinated accessories home after indoc.
3. Be prepared for a huge handout of pubs on day

Great to be here, looking forward to meeting the new class. Party is at the hotel, sunday, approx 1900 (tbc on arrival).

Boy, does it feel good to post from the "inside".

Keep the faith. Well worth the wait.
:D

This is Indapool's wife. Since he's busy studying (I hope), I thought I'd answer some of the questions since I was just in Dallas for the first few days. Hope you guys don't mind. I read this as much (or more) than my hubby.

The guys all did wear suits the first two days, and the significant others wore slacks or skirts the first day. I guess just so we all looked nice. We spent the enitre first day sitting at tables listening to tons of info (Hint: bring your significant others). Lunch was catered in (very nice). We all got back to the hotel after 5:30 that evening. SWA puts you up in the Renaissance (very nice) and it's nice all being in the same hotel. We even ran into other SWA pilots coming and going. We ate dinner in the lounge the first night which was very decent. (SWA employees get a discount). We got invited to join another captain and his wife at their table and just kept commenting on how nice everyone was to us. The second day, the guys wore suits again and got their photo ID's taken. Most guys just brought one suit, and wore different shirts/ties the second day. The rooms have irons so you can iron your pants from the day before (you're welcome honey). Also, don't be afraid to take your suit coat off the first day while you're sitting at the table. Everyone seemed afraid to except my hubby and it got rather warm. For the wives/s.o.'s, make sure you dress more casual on the second day and wear comfortable walking shoes. You will be walking the whole enitre morning touring the training center, corporate, and over to the airport. Lunch that day is at Corporate in the cafeteria (very nice for a cafeteria!), and then you get to buy SWA stuff at the Freedom Shop for yourself and the kids. Then the husband and wives/s.o.'s are back in the classroom for more stuff. It's been said many times but if your wife/s.o. is debating about whether to go, I really recommend it. They go over so much info, and it helps to have someome help you remember it.

We had so much fun getting to know the other couples and I came away with a better understanding about the company and the history, things my hubby knew, but had never told me (hmmm.... imagine that). We were both totally impressed with everyone in Dallas. It's an amazing thing to be told "Welcome to the last job you will ever have." And to hear that they've ordered the airplane that will make my hubby a captain. They include the wives as being part of their big family, and make it known that your family does come first with them. A few of the wives left Tuesday afternoon/evening, and others left on Wednesday a.m. I was anxious to get back home to my kids, but now I'm missing being a part of what's going on there - that's how a part of the "family" they make you feel. Weekends are free for the guys to study or try and get home. And the hotel didn't seem to mind if a wife wanted to come back for a weekend.

The party the first night is in one of the hotel banquet rooms. Everyone had fun, a few had a lot of fun (hint: don't show up late to class on Monday - hi Mr. Canada ; ). All in all it was an amazing experience - one that's just begun.

If any wives want to PM me with their questions, please have them do so.

Latest resources

Back