Retired military?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fly4unclesam

I am a USAF pilot, currently working in a staff assignment (not by choice). Following this assignment, I will return to fly (although it will probably be more desk work than flying). That assignment will be my last prior to retirement. Just looking for any insight as to how marketable retired military pilots are these days, since the guys coming up in the civilian ranks are getting a lot more time...and its in jets now. I will be 42 years old, and should have about 4000+ hours of military jet time by then.... plus past instructor/evaluator experience. I have about 2,000hrs in light civil aircraft.

Thanks

ret mil

Hi, there are as we speak two 20 year military retirees in a 76/76 class at UPS. I know cause they're in my class. Put your app in and update regularly. You'll get a chance to put your release date/avail date somewhere on the online res. Apply everywhere. Despite your age, there's no substitute for solid experience like yours. Good luck. TH.

USAF retired.

I retired Aug. of 02 after 28 years. I turned 53 while in training at SWA. It is much better on the outside than on the inside. Only wish I left the AF earlier. PM me if you would like some info on the process to getting hired.

It varies. Hiring departments don't publish how much they weight age and military status. And if they did it would change year to year and even month to month.

My opinion-- Retired looks better than ex-military with a possible reserve call up.
The older you are the less likely you are to jump airline to airline. Airlines with an A plan might want to hire the younger guys to get more out you before retirement.

Airlines will often hire a certain age group over another. Depends on the mix they want to enter class this year.

Last edited:
Retired Military

As long as you are CURRENTLY flying, and have a well rounded career (IP/Eval/leadership roles etc) with flight time equal to your peers (ie others coming out of the military) you should have no problem getting called.

However, you will have to network with people you know and that you've flown with (that currently work for the various carriers). From all my buds who have retired and pursued flying jobs, they have all gotten hired with the exception of those who were in staff jobs when they finished--and a couple of those guys got hired by regionals. Somebody who retired this past year, sent out 10 apps, got interviewed by 8 and offers from 7. He took FedEx. His experience sounded exactly like yours including the flight time.

Finish in a flying job, network, and prepare! You should get called.

Great Info

Thanks for the great info guys. I guess that is one good thing about being in a staff job now...I should be able to return to fly to finish up. I am a C-17 guy, so I expect I will go back there as an Ops Officer, although I am also considering a UPT assignment or the 89th.

Can't wait to get there with you guys. Hopefully things will have stabilized by then....and hopefully FedEx will still be hiring.

Latest resources

Back