Retired Military --> Corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OldTomcat

I am wondering if you retired (20 yr +) military pilots are happier with your corporate pilot job--?. Pay could certainly be an issue, but I suspect that there are many corporations out there that are willing to pay top dollar for someone that desires to be part of a company and intends to stay in place for the long-term.

Seems the corporate atmosphere might also appeal more to some retirees that have had significant responsibility and skills other than piloting.

I know--- getting that great corporate job is the hard part.

Thanks in advance for your insight! I realize responses may be biased by the "Corporate" group, therefore, posts from current "major" pilots that were previously Corporate, or vice versa, are appreciated.

From what I've been reading it looks like that is definitely the case. Besides, you can fly past 60.

significant responsibility and skills other than piloting

That maybe wishful thinking, unless you want to be the chief pilot. We're not the only ones who can make cheesy PowerPoint slides.

Military to corporate

I have a soft spot for the military guys and gals who give a strong look at a corporate career. Sorry I don't fit the 20+ year military retiree bracket you are looking for. Maybe some of what I say here will help, or maybe it's old hat.

The corporate culture is different, depending on the size of the company and the management. You are wearing many hats during your work day. Larger flight departments with adequate staff can have advance trip notice, but smaller departments like mine are at the mercy of the company travel department and a pager with a good battery. Be ready to accept any managerial, concierge, or other duty with a smile.

And yes, getting a job you are happy with (and your management is comfortable with having you in) is the hard part. If you do the research and become acquainted with those who make the hiring decisions, then you start building on those contacts, much the same as any professional sales person would do. You dress the part and you make regular contacts with an updated resume'. You offer to help out when other staff are sick, on vacation, at recurrent, etc. Better yet, you seek a job flying for a charter department nearby or in the same building. Your contacts see you on the ramp regularly and are able to evaluate you from a distance discretely.

What complicates all of this is that your residence is not anywhere near the flight departments of your focus. Right down the reasons why you should move nearby or the reasons why you can't move. Discuss any move in detail with your spouse, if this is a major factor, then find some common ground to make the change.

As mentioned in previous threads, find a NBAA member directory. This guide is an invaluable tool in finding the operators you want to focus contacts with. Lastly, remember that some of the best jobs out there aren't advertised. What applies in other fields applies here.

Good luck.

CitationCapt.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back