Resume writing tips/ideas for DX jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OneBadLT123

I saw something like this from the pilot side a while ago and figured we can all help each other out here.

With all the recent openings popping up here and there I figured it would be a good idea to help pass along tips/pointers for structuring a resume.

Since I am somewhat new to the industry(~5 years), and never really needed a sure fire resume, I am wondering how should one be structured for a DX job? I know the purpose is to tell them why they should hire you, but really our jobs are pretty straight forward.

Can anyone with lots of experience with submitting, or actually receiving resumes chime in and pass along some tips for us prospective applicants? Do standard cookie cutter resumes work? Does listing all your duties from each employer just drown the employer with industry jargon? What makes a dispatch resume a great one, and not just a good one? etc...

I think we can all help each other out here and any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

-

Whether preferred or not, I have always listed aircraft types that I've dispatched, especially if they are the same as the company I was applying for.

The general and usual stuff is good, but you need to be able to express what you woill be able to do for them.. not just what you did.. this is your advertisment, sell yourself, tell them what accomplishments you have made for your companies and how you will be ding the ams and more for them..

If there is anything negative try to make is a positive by telling them what ou learned and how you grew as a professional and person.. but keep the detail in the resume short.. you can exaplin these and other tigs at an interview..

remember, your trying to het interviewed.. sell them on YOU.. and why they should hire you over the others..

Good luck.. I've been doing it for awhile with success... Good luck with the hunt

I always listed the planes I dispatched, where I have dispatched (ie. Europe, South America) lets them now my experience level. What types of operations 121 domestic/supplemental any corporate. Also list the software you are familiar with. If you are looking at just airliners you can cookie cut the resume but the coversheet needs to be specific to the company you are applying. Remember HR is to first to see the resumes so make sure you put the "key words" in the coversheet so it will pass them.

Now what gets me is when you interview, The job is the same anywhere you go yet I have never had the same interview twice. Some are more interested in you personality and how you fit in the office others are more interested in your skill set. To me if you have been dispatching for along time the knowledge shouldnt be a question. But I have had interviews in which they expect you to answer all the questions from the ATP or from school test. To me that is a flag on the manager and how they operate. A real good manager is someone when you go into the interview the first thing they do is get to know you first. Then after they learn your experience ask questions related to that. I agree with testing dont get me wrong but make sure it is dispatched related. You dont want someone in there that doesnt know what they are doing.

The job I got now I took because of the manager and his approach in the interview. He asked me questions about dispatching but he also treated me like I knew what I was doing. Not act like I just got my certificate last week. Which in my eyes showed me he knew what he was doing. I had one interview with a company and the manager acted like I was after their job. That one hired 1 very experienced dispatcher and the rest had little experience in the operations they was doing. Just because of the fear of someone knowing more than them.

Sorry for the long rant but it boggles my mind what some of these managers are looking for. Hire the best qualified and the ones that know what they are doing and it will save the company alot of money from rookie mistakes.

I agree with squirrel. While much of what you may want to put in the resume may be great when in the hands of the Dispatch manager, you must first get it through the HR eval. And when you fill it up with technical stuff that may look golden to the office you would be working in it is all still greek to the HR office that look at corporate items many of them legal risks. It really is a fine line you have to navigate on unlike the "old days" where you would first send your resume to the manager of chief pilot.

EDIT: And many places (not just airlines) only accept on line resumes so now you have get through a computer first!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back