Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

celloman

Hello,

As I start out in my first flying job (flight instructor) I have found many people who give me the advise "keep your resume up to date you never know when you might need it." I agree with this statement %100

My problem is two fold. I am not %100 sure what to put on the resume and I don't know what kind of format I should use. In short what makes a good and bad aviation resume?

If you could point me to examples on the web or other resources that would be wonderful! I would like to get my resume up to date and looking professional asap!

Thanks for your time !

Resume Format:

I would go with the following layout:

Name
Address
Phone
E-Mail Address

Objective: (Full Time Position as a Certified Flight Instructor, etc...)

Certificates & Ratings

Flight Experience: (Total, PIC, Multi, Night, Instrument, Dual Given)

Education: (Bachelor Degree, etc... Also include any additional training here such as Med-Aire, CRM, Flight Safety, etc...)

Work Experience:

Personal: (Height, Weight, Vision, Age, non-smoker, etc...)

Good Luck!

I did the hiring at the charter operation I used to work for. I saw some strange resumes out there. Keep it simple, and easy to read. If I couldn't follow the resume I was looking at I usually just moved onto the next. In my opinion the best resume is just like FALCONCAPT described. On separate lines...Center your name, address, phone number, email account. Then follow FALCON'S outline. Good luck.

ooops.....follow FALCON'S outline, except put your flight time after your objective and before your ratings/certs...good luck

About those resumes on findapilot.com…

Just perusing the list and clicked on one, some gent from the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia and looked his resume over.

Now here’s what I saw.

1930 Hrs total time… okay…
1250 Hrs G-II time… Hmmm…
440 Hrs Lear time… Uhhhh…

Now, I ain’t no rocket scientist but for this chap to have said time he would have started flying jets at the meager sum of 239 hours!

Now, either I did something wrong or we as pilots are living on borrowed time, if were sharing the ozone with candidates with these qualifications. Even if he flew all the Lear time before he touched the Gulfstream, he would have been right seat, (or left?) at the tiddy sum total of 679 hours!

God I need a drink…
:(

Sheik...

I guess I don't understand your post, what is your concern? What is wrong with someone getting into the right seat of a jet at 239 hours? Sure we all know guys that have thousands of hours and are well....crappy pilots. But there are many good sticks out there that got a break along the way and took full advantage.

JustAPilot, I think the only person who's gonna really have a problem with a 239.3 hour pilot at the controls of a Lear is the person paying the bills in the back and oblivious to it, and the poor captain watching two things - the jet and the guy in the right seat the cheif pilot hired. Of course, unless he hired him, then he's thought about what it will entail.

I don't have a problem with somebody getting a break, but you can't be serious not understanding his point... can you?:confused:

justApilot said:
Sheik...

I guess I don't understand your post, what is your concern? What is wrong with someone getting into the right seat of a jet at 239 hours? Sure we all know guys that have thousands of hours and are well....crappy pilots. But there are many good sticks out there that got a break along the way and took full advantage.

I am not at all against someone being handed a break or taking advantage of a personal contact that gives the a foot up in their chosen industry. But there are some professions that require and mandate a level of hands on experience that cannot come with the mere passing of a license from the controlling authority to the holder.

Professional aviation is one, so are surgeon and lawyer and accountant and, well you get the idea.

At 239 hour I had about as much business being in the right seat of a Lear or G-II as I do today commanding the Space Shuttle. I had absolutely no “real world” flight time. Coming out of a Part 141 Commercial program I did my CMEL with a tad less than 250 hrs, I believe I had about 225 or so and a great portion of my time was dual. Most of my solo time was to satisfy that required for solo and solo cross-country etc…

One day I was a lowly ole private pilot with and instrument rating and all of 15 hours of real actual and a boat load of hood time, the next day, with the waving of the DE’s wand I was a newly minted Commercial Aviator ready to conquer the world!

No one in their right mind would have tossed me into the right seat of anything, if insurance requirements didn’t preclude it common sense would have.

I, just a most all of us here flew ferry’s for local FBO’s, I flew traffic watch for a radio station in a 182, I then flew fire patrol in the Sierras for the state later flying spotter for fire tankers and then runner for the tankers for one season. I flew freight and then flew local, 135 stuff in a Commander and finally after what seemed like an eternity; I landed myself a charter job flying a King Air.

It was only after many single jobs giving me the experience necessary to qualify for a jet job did I finally land a right seat job in a jet. I had to meet at minimum ATP standards just to rate an interview.

What most likely occurred with the guy whose resume I found was this? He was picked by a company maybe even his present employer or his father, uncle or mother and shipped of to the good ole US of A to become a commercial pilot. He then returned to where ever and immediately started flying jets, a bad move if you ask me.
Just as EAP points out this puts undue stress and substantially more work on the shoulders of the Captain, not only who has to fly the jet but to keep an eye out on the really new newbie.

Surgeons go through a residency to gain experience; lawyers go through an inspection process under the tutelage of a senior attorney and must be accompanied by this attorney during their first court appearances. Most all-professional level occupations have a vetting process built in for a reason, aviation is no different. Even though we were all commercial pilots the exact instant the DE put pen to temporary certificate and scribbled his name to the examiners box, just as a Doctor immediately became a Doctor once his State boards were passed, we all still had a long way to go.
My whole point was just that of amazement and that of my opinion. I just find it very careless on the part of an employer to hire someone with that level of experience and assume they are qualified to assume control of a jet.

I will agree that there are exceptions to this rule, but most all of them are flying fighters single pilot for the Air Force, Navy and Marines. Even the military has a safety net built in. Those who don’t make the cut for the top of the class and win a coveted fighter slot, move on to bomber, tankers and trash haulers where they will be junior to a senior aircraft commander for a period of time beyond their training time, which if I’m not mistaken is around 250 to 350 hours to win your wings…

Sheik

Latest resources

Back