Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ultraman

H.N.F. 1924-2003
In your experience, what has been the most successful way to get noticed and/or get an interview?

1)Cold call in person
2)Cold call on telephone
3)E-mail a resume
4)Send resume by mail
5)Have friend walk in a resume

I know about networking and the "it's who you know" game, just looking to see what has helped people get jobs in the past, either full-, part-time or contract.

Thanks,

Ultraman

Ultraman said:
In your experience, what has been the most successful way to get noticed and/or get an interview?

1)Cold call in person
2)Cold call on telephone
3)E-mail a resume
4)Send resume by mail
5)Have friend walk in a resume

I know about networking and the "it's who you know" game, just looking to see what has helped people get jobs in the past, either full-, part-time or contract.

Thanks,

Ultraman

#5 by far.

but dont be afraid to cold call and ask who to send a resume to and follow up on occasion.

Everyone was looking for a good break at sometime...and we can all be in the same situation at anytime!

Lets not forget that.

good luck

Last edited:
If no friend to walk it in, try the cold call and ask when is the best time to stop in. Always helps to have a face with the name/resume. Best of luck.

Just make sure when you do show up at the meeting to drop off resume that you are in a suit! Don't waste your time or the time of the person at the office by wearing whatever you put on in the morning!

If you want the best way, I would shoot even higher:

6) Play golf with your friend that works there, the Chief Pilot and DO.

7) Eat dinner with your friend and the CP.

8) Find any way at all possible to meet the decision makers in a social environment and get to know them and what is important to them.

The above will do two things, let them know you and give them an idea if you are a fit for their dept, and give you an opportunity to get to know them and see if you are a fit for their dept.

In my experience and in knowing many chief pilots, I'd be very cautious about making cold calls. At Fortune flight departments a good secretary won't let you get to the chief pilot in most cases.

If cold calls are you game, first I'd have mailed a resume. So many flight departments don't respond in any way which is terribly annoying IMHO. I got my last CP to at make up a form letter "We received your resume yada, yada, yada..." to send out when a resume is received. At least you know it hit someones desk. One thing I used to do when sending unsolicited resumes was to put a SASE post card in asking it kindly be dropped in the mail. Then I knew if it was received. Nine out of ten times I got the card back. It took a lot of the frustration of "not knowing" out of the equation. Then and only then would I make a call. Generally I found those that returned the card were those most willing to at least say hi and tell me if they were indeed looking or not or the status of their search.

Finally, obviously #5 is your best bet in the corporate world, hands down. #4 is next. #3 is iffy. They probably have filters and you're likely to come out as spam, especially sending an attachment.

Good luck with your search.

Latest resources

Back