resume advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ailerongirl said:
English Girl Guides have something along the same lines as the Eagle Scout Award. It's called the Baden Powell, ...
I'm sure you're aware, then, of the significance of Sir Baden Powell to Scouting in America and the world.

:)

As someone who is now in the position of reviewing résumé’s (as opposed to sending them); with regard to the subject, I would suggest "trimming the fat".
Regardless of whether the achievement is "eagle scout" or "surpassing a 300 pound personal gross weight, while simultaneously learning Vietnamese", these subjects can be covered in the face-to-face conversation with the employer.
You have to consider how you appear on paper, while being sorted amongst many other "pieces of paper". If your résumé is full of clutter (whether it's honorable or not), isn't well organized, or if it appears excessive, there's a higher probability that it will be shuffled to the bottom of the pile.

More unsolicited resume advice....

If the ad states to send the resume to the chief pilot, don't start off your cover letter with "Dear Sir". What if the chief pilot is a female?

I've always found "Dear Sir or Madam" to be slightly less offensive.

English said:
More unsolicited resume advice....

If the ad states to send the resume to the chief pilot, don't start off your cover letter with "Dear Sir". What if the chief pilot is a female?

I've always found "Dear Sir or Madam" to be slightly less offensive.

better yet, show you have the ambition to find the real chief pilots name and use it.

Flying Illini said:
here's an honest question for you people who look at a lot of resume's.

I'm an Eagle Scout. It took a significant amount of time and dedication for me to achieve that rank. Is this something that I should put on a resume or not (under the title of Honors?)? I've had one Dir. of Ops. and CP tell me that it should be on there. But they both understand what it means to achieve that rank and they were very impressed by it.

I'm very curious what others think.

Thanks for the replies,
FI

An Eagle Scout is not a boyhood achievement. My best friend, who I also drank a lot of beers with, is an eagle scout and is now an Air Force pilot.

According to him, Eagle Scout is not something to be put aside. You earned it!

MODERATOR INPUT - EAGLEFLIP, please answer the below question.

Double Post - Why can't you delete posts?

For the love of god, have more than one person check your spelling, preferably someone who is not a pilot. Just look around here for a reminder of how well pilots spell. I can't count the number of buddies who have given me resumes to walk in for them with at least one spelling error. The best was the buddy who, in big bold letters near the bottom, displayed the word AVAILBILITY. The funny thing about that is, I missed it since I scanned it so fast and dropped it off. Apparently so did the CP. He got the interview and job offer!

Hugh Jordan said:
The best was the buddy who, in big bold letters near the bottom, displayed the word AVAILBILITY. The funny thing about that is, I missed it since I scanned it so fast and dropped it off. Apparently so did the CP. He got the interview and job offer!
I have a copy of a resume of a successful applicant who misspelled DECEMBER! :eek:

:)

OK, I have another one.

I think putting a picture of yourself on a resume is also a bad idea. Unless you are a hottie, just don't do it!

Latest resources

Back