Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes East Coast, plus KMTC

Is that all east coast?
But we deployed worldwide, I flew out of the Phillipines, Thailand, Japan, Adak, Guam and Viet Nam

Since some here have flown P-3s, I have to ask: What are the operational load factor limits? Do you really buy this 7g story? I know the Electra is built like a tank, but c'mon - 7gs? First of all, I wouldn't figure the elevator would have enough authority to command anywhere near that sort of load even at speeds well in excess of Vne or Vmo or whatever serves as limiting airspeed.

It sounds from the report that there is some sort of data recorder, and maybe it records load factors. Most transport category airplanes have 2 or 2.5 g limits depending on configuration. Has anyone here ever pulled even 2gs in these kind of planes? If anyone has, I'd suspect it'd be in a P-3 or it's ilk, but either way, it's not easy, especially in an upright seat! 1.5gs feels like you're pulling the wings off! What kind of load factors do the firefighters using Electras or Hercs typically experience?

The report also makes it sound like the crew was trying to restart the engine or engines while trying to recover from departed flight. Talk about multi-tasking!:rolleyes:

Since some here have flown P-3s, I have to ask: What are the operational load factor limits? Do you really buy this 7g story? I know the Electra is built like a tank, but c'mon - 7gs? First of all, I wouldn't figure the elevator would have enough authority to command anywhere near that sort of load even at speeds well in excess of Vne or Vmo or whatever serves as limiting airspeed.

It sounds from the report that there is some sort of data recorder, and maybe it records load factors. Most transport category airplanes have 2 or 2.5 g limits depending on configuration. Has anyone here ever pulled even 2gs in these kind of planes? If anyone has, I'd suspect it'd be in a P-3 or it's ilk, but either way, it's not easy, especially in an upright seat! 1.5gs feels like you're pulling the wings off! What kind of load factors do the firefighters using Electras or Hercs typically experience?

The report also makes it sound like the crew was trying to restart the engine or engines while trying to recover from departed flight. Talk about multi-tasking!:rolleyes:

According to my 15 year old NATOPS, the P-3C limits are +3 to -1 up to normal max takeoff weight. I've seen the +3 exceeded slightly performing the break, and the -1 exceeded when manually calibrating the MAD detector, but never came close to the numbers in YIP's post. The P-3 is quite a bit stronger than the Electra however, and a NOAA bird pulled +5.5 and -3.5 when they almost lost it penetrating Hugo in 89. This aircraft suffered little airframe damage and returned to service after a couple of months, so 7 G's and heavy damage is plausable.

MofY

Its been a while since i read the report, but 7g's sounds high- IIRC it being more in the 5 range. The FE, on his own, did in fact restart the shutdown engine while in the high speed spiral- thats what saved the crew!

I do not recall the exact number, but you will notice the pictures as a result of exceding the G limit caused severe damage.

Thanks for the responses! I guess I'll have to take a Mythbusters "plausible" verdict, then. At the same time, I'd figure 5.5gs in a hurricane would most likely be brought on by wind shear in addition to elevator, not flight control input alone. The report did say the 7gs was experienced in a roll, and asymmetric load limits are usually less than symmetric. Also, most ultimate load limits are set at 150% of the design limit, so with a 3g operational limit, the ultimate limit (where structure should fail outright, not just pop rivets and crack spars) should be around 4.5gs. Regardless, I'd say that's one lucky crew that they're all still with us. The photos of the damage are pretty amazing.

Regardless, I'd say that's one lucky crew that they're all still with us.

Does anyone know if these guys are still flying? In the civilian world they would have been busted back down to private pilots (after they took a private pilot competency/check ride).

That went to a pilot disposition board

Does anyone know if these guys are still flying? In the civilian world they would have been busted back down to private pilots (after they took a private pilot competency/check ride).
The results of the board were not posted with the article. I know guys who were grounded for less

Latest resources

Back