"resting" at the controls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigFlyr

This was first posted in the "regionals forum".

We all know for that many airlines allow and in some cases encourage one of the flight crew to "rest their eyes" during cruise flight while the other maintains vigilance so that the rested crewmember is "fresh" for the arrival.

That being said, does anyone know if there are any FAA guidelines or regulations regarding this pratice?

When at altitude in cruise, I routinely rested my eyes when not flying. I would lean my head near the speaker, and almost never miss a call. I coul never sleep, as I like to keep the speaker turned up LOUD. :D

We already know it's wide-spread practice to "doze" while at cruise altitude as long as someone is paying attention... But what about the legality of it? I haven't found anything that says you can't... On the other hand you have to ask the question... If there was a Fed onboard, would you "rest your eye's or not"...:confused:

I don't rest my eyes anymore

I used to rest my eyes also while at the controls. One day I decided to rest my eyes and unbeknownst to me the F.O. decided to rest his eyes at the same time. The next thing I know, there was an f16 on the left side of us trying to get me to unrest my eyes. Since then I don't rest my eyes anymore.

By the way, we just told them we accidently had the volume on both radio's turned down and we thought it was a more serious radio problem.

Latest resources

Back