Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
Anyone have knowledge on retiree's coming back on as part-time reservists, and getting to fly?

Yes. Mostly with reserve units attached to active duty wings. Stand alone units, doubtful, but I'm not sure.
Go for it if you're up for the work load.

Retirees and Reserves

I guess it would depend on the unit. I doubt you'd have much luck in the Reserves nowadays though, with no airline hiring and many units getting BRACed. If I was the commander, i can't say i'd waste flying time and money on training a nondeployable pilot in my squadron. What kind of benifit would you be to the squadron? Don't say experience, because we got a lot of old heads here in the reserves, so what else you got? I guess different airframes could be a different story but i'd say you would have an uphill battle. Good luck. If it were me, I'd buy some new golf clubs and screw the reserves!

Depends, if you are an active duty retiree, ,moving to reserve status can screw up your retirement pay, and I've never seen it allowed. Reserve retiree maybe, as long as you haven't started drawing your retired pay.

Here's what I've heard is in the works or actually happening: officers retire, then go back on a part time reserve status. They get reserve/active duty pay for the days they work, and retirement for the rest of the days. However, I heard that most, if not all, are in non-flying billets.
So my question is this:
- are folks still doing this?
- if so, are any of them in slots where they get to fly?

Huggy...

You got it right above. In fact, two years ago I was pursueing this very option with the Grissom Reserves. They have a guy who did it and I was going to follow in his tracks. It was about the only option I had left at the end of twenty years, but the AF offered me the job I'm in now and I took it after two nano seconds of thought.

To answer your Q's above, yes, there are people out there who have done it. However, it is a road not often travelled. It took the guy I mentioned above about 18 months to get to the unit, due to all the paperwork and hurdles he had to jump to make it happen.

Yes, he was a pilot.

Pay is as you state above.

Trick is finding the unit that will take you. I'm assuming you have that part taken care of there at Beale, right?

Good luck!

Yes, I want to do the job at Beale. But, no, it doesn't exist. Bingo: my challenge! Create the job!!! Sounds like a tough road to make this one happen. I've got 18 months to figure it out, though. Here goes....

Huggy - don't let Slacker get you down - (Be nice Lt Dan! :) )
If you were to come back - you would have to be deployable...there was a NAv I knew that was coming back until we got mobilized...and a LM I know is trying to come back - he is in his 40s..so...he still has some years left in him. I guess it depends on your age, quals and currency.
There are guys doing it. Like it was mentioned above - probably mostly in associate units that are busier than normal. The AFSOC unit I was in was going to let guys come back - they needed them.
Retirement isnt an issue...they have that worked out.

dtfl,
OK! Thanks for the words. It's good to here this path has already been paved, even if only a small paving. Our unit doesn't even have Reservists yet, so it will be some work, and lots of luck. We'll see. At least I'm current/qual'd.

Latest resources

Back