• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reserve Component Commitments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well it obviously does not. Many people leave for many reasons. I left for mine. I know guys at the unit hiring me and they know why I left my previous one and had no problem with it. When you get a real flying job outside the military...you tell me if it works for you..if it does great...if it does not then it does not. I did my share of deployments so it was time to pursue my real job...does that clear it up a bit for you.

I guess anything is possible in the guard. Good for you. I'm gonna stick with an "unreal" flying job in the military, you can stick with your "real" job fly outside the military.

I've talked to a few guys at your "new" unit. They like it when you're at your "real" job. Seems like the word regret kept coming up.

enjoy southwest.

I guess anything is possible in the guard. Good for you. I'm gonna stick with an "unreal" flying job in the military, you can stick with your "real" job fly outside the military.

I concur...I hate these types of dudes. They serve no real purpose and are actually a bit dangerous in the airplane. It is also tainted with arrogance and we all know how that can get you killed.

Honestly...the flying is whole lot more REAL at my mil job being 50 feet above the ground on a moonless night.

Dude...stay at your "real" job and let those that have their heads and hearts in do the job.

I concur...I hate these types of dudes. They serve no real purpose and are actually a bit dangerous in the airplane. It is also tainted with arrogance and we all know how that can get you killed.

Honestly...the flying is whole lot more REAL at my mil job being 50 feet above the ground on a moonless night.

Dude...stay at your "real" job and let those that have their heads and hearts in do the job.

Dude you can have all the glory you want I will buy you a beer. Do you need a tissue because it looks like you are about to cry.

I am not calling anyone out for doing what they want to do. If you were given the opportunities to do what I am doing you would have possibly done the same. Everyone has their own routes they want to take and some want what others have and can't. That is life. Don't worry about what I can do or did worry about yourself. Someone asked a question about service commitments and you you guys can't handle the answers of reality....

I dont need the glory...but I have a personal and professional obligation that I plan to keep.

In my opinion, I work for the best aviation company in the world...and I still fly in the Reserves and love it. I told them what they could expect from me just as I did my current employer. Everyone knows....

You seemed to be proud of punching on your commitment and then going somewhere else for "job security"...

Do what you gotta do man..you have to look at yourself in the mirror and who gives a rats ass what your squadron mates think about you...right?

Dude you can have all the glory you want I will buy you a beer. Do you need a tissue because it looks like you are about to cry.

I am not calling anyone out for doing what they want to do. If you were given the opportunities to do what I am doing you would have possibly done the same. Everyone has their own routes they want to take and some want what others have and can't. That is life. Don't worry about what I can do or did worry about yourself. Someone asked a question about service commitments and you you guys can't handle the answers of reality....

I dont need the glory...but I have a personal and professional obligation that I plan to keep.

In my opinion, I work for the best aviation company in the world...and I still fly in the Reserves and love it. I told them what they could expect from me just as I did my current employer. Everyone knows....

You seemed to be proud of punching on your commitment and then going somewhere else for "job security"...

Do what you gotta do man..you have to look at yourself in the mirror and who gives a rats ass what your squadron mates think about you...right?

Well, things change in life and if things don't work out they dont That was the case for my first unit. Now I am with the unit that fits with my job and life at home and everything if fine. From my experience, the Guard is a revolving door with people in and people out at various times during their career. I was just bringing to life that the Guard does not have a service commitment per se.....don't shoot the messenger....define obligation how you like it but my obligation comes to my family first and that dictates where and how I work.

wrong guy

I've talked to a few guys at your "new" unit. They like it when you're at your "real" job. Seems like the word regret kept coming up.

enjoy southwest.

ReddogC130,

Guess I had the wrong guy, you're obviously not who I thought originally. Sorry.

I've seen examples of both in my Wing in the Squadron that slacker isn't attached to fly with. Had some guys bail when the airlines were hot; they pretty much laughed their way out the door. They tried to come back but the Chief Pilot said no. Another guy left because of critical family issues. He sat down with leadership and detailed why he regretfully had to take an IMA job closer to home. Things righted themselves and he was welcomed back with open arms.

You realize he IS NOT ON active duty and is in the guard/reserves??? You act like he is preaching this and is on Active Duty??!??!??!
He has every right to choose civ job and family FIRST when in the ANG/AFRES.

As far as leaving then coming back........that is up to the unit hiring him/her to deal with.....but give it a rest about "flying at 50' " and service before self.
And unless you are in the 160SOAR or flew a Pave Low or ANYTHING in AFSOC - you are breaking 1876 rules being at 50'.....that or you are full of sh*t.

Last edited:
Whooooaaaaa there sparky. I do realize he is not AD. I have seen guys come into the military, use it for their needs and then bolt. Not keeping their "obligation" to the unit. I have also seen guys bail when the airlines were hiring and flipping the unit off when they left only to come begging when furloughs hit. To be "proud" of using the military as
job protection" is a bit suspect in my opinion.

If you cannot or will not participate at the unit level, hang it up and get out. If your family comes first..then they always come first. It seems to come and go is also a bit suspect.

As for being down at 50 feet, I recommend you scour some regs on what aircraft type can fly down to 50 feet. Report back when you find it...and then you can eat crow.

You realize he IS NOT ON active duty and is in the guard/reserves??? You act like he is preaching this and is on Active Duty??!??!??!
He has every right to choose civ job and family FIRST when in the ANG/AFRES.

As far as leaving then coming back........that is up to the unit hiring him/her to deal with.....but give it a rest about "flying at 50' " and service before self.
And unless you are in the 160SOAR or flew a Pave Low or ANYTHING in AFSOC - you are breaking 1876 rules being at 50'.....that or you are full of sh*t.

Latest resources

Back