Reserve at your company.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chqflyer

Just as a curiosity, do other regionals consistently use reserve captains in the right seat? It's a common situation here at BB's funland, not exactly one I totally agree with. I know being typed means you're qualified in either seat, but it seems to throw my rhythm off when I'm there. It's not an ego thing. I get paid the same in either seat. I really dislike the "double jeopardy" of having to cover both CA and FO sick calls. I'm not even mentioning the fact that they'd rather pay two CA's to operate a flight rather than increase FO pay in any way shape or form. Well, I'm just venting over some of the day to day absurdities.

Not allowed at Endeavor, except in the case of a check airman and only to prevent a juniorman.

Not allowed at Endeavor, except in the case of a check airman and only to prevent a juniorman.

That's a slippery slope. How would you even begin to prove it wasn't done to prevent a junior-manning assignment?

Here's how it would work at XJT:

CPO- "You're gonna have to fly it"

ALPA- "You're gonna have to fly it"

Simple, if there is any reserve not used that day, it's a violation... Besides, after the last downgrades I don't think there are any LCA's on reserve now.

Simple, if there is any reserve not used that day, it's a violation... Besides, after the last downgrades I don't think there are any LCA's on reserve now.

Well, that SIMPLY won't work at ASA. Crew scheduling are experts at making SURE that everyone.....EVERYONE is at work everyday. If you don't have a day off....and even if you do....you WILL be at work. It is their main IROP/SWAP recovery tool. 4 reserves will be called in for a round trip each. Anyone with an overnight over 16-18 hours will be rescheduled for one more turn or a DH.

I have been sent on at least 20 missions to bring back a "fixed" airplane. Know how many I actually repo'd back?.......1 or 2!!

They burn through reserves with reckless abandon. And then wonder why we have to cancel flights due to lack of crew. Now they want us to give them more "flexibility"??

YGTBSM

TFAYD!!

There is a top-down philosophy that if they pay you, you're going to do something, even if it wastes thousands of dollars per instance. This costs the company millions more in wasted efforts than if they just paid reserves guarantee to sit at home until they're really needed. It stems from senior mgmt wanting to make sure they get something out of you and occ personnel hating the fact that pilots are pay-protected.

They know the financial waste of their actions, but don't care if it gets you out to the airport.

I think our new VP knows this and will fix it. ie, CH is gone for starters. She was a propagator of this attitude, and responsible for much of our financial losses due to crew-utilization inefficiencies.

Last edited:
WMS- at least this point will show who is truly running the show, and how far up the totem pole this attitude permeates. I can honestly count on one hand the number of times, in 5 years of reserve, that I wasn't used and stayed home. Frankly, one way or the other, I simply couldn't take it anymore. Looking back at it, I should have left WAY before I did, and gained experience elsewhere. Reserve was an absolute sentence to misery- no life outside of work, in any capacity. Wow- I still get worked up thinking about it!

It stems from senior mgmt wanting to make sure they get something out of you and occ personnel hating the fact that pilots are pay-protected.

I'm not so sure this isn't a SkyWest-driven thing. They do have a tendency- an extreme one- to latch onto bull******************** like vacation-low, reserves at home, eliminating soft time, etc...

It's not new to the business, but this mentality permeates the G.O. at every level. They hate pilots, and spend 99.8% of their working lives focused on them. All the while letting the operation crumble, and then blaming- you guessed it- pilots.

I'm not so sure this isn't a SkyWest-driven thing. They do have a tendency- an extreme one- to latch onto bull******************** like vacation-low, reserves at home, eliminating soft time, etc...

It's not new to the business, but this mentality permeates the G.O. at every level. They hate pilots, and spend 99.8% of their working lives focused on them. All the while letting the operation crumble, and then blaming- you guessed it- pilots.

Brad doesn't hate pilots, he hates pilots sitting at home, collecting guarantee for watching TV. I am sure glad he is your "problem" now...
BTW reserve at Skywest is, well, the worst thing that will ever happen to you in your aviation career. Cartwheeling a plane down the runway is almost better, because the pain will be short lived, one way or another. Reserve at Skywest on the other hand is driven by Brads old philosophies and mutated by the bevy of 19 old SGU girls and boys who wholeheartedly embrace the philosophy that pilots are lazy, shiftless, slackers who must be deadheaded to all points of the route map to insure that they are wearing the monkey suit for as many days as possible as atonement for that sweet 5 on 2 off schedule.
With the current 7 year upgrade into the EMB you will be on reserve for quite awhile, enjoy!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back