• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Res ? for NJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They own you for 7 days and depending on when your brief starts, they can call you out pretty much any time within that window. Netjets abides to 91k rules with no grey areas. You are in rest or on duty. IMHO 91k has been a godsend for QOL on the road.

Are you asking first day out? Or just anytime during the week.

I find it interesting how some fractionals operate in the grey areas when it comes to part 91k. I was even more suprised that NJI does this too. I found out at NJI that you can go past 14hrs on a ferry flight because they were 91. Ahhh ever hear of 91k?

If the company shuts you down at 1400lcl and tells you your next show is 1200 the next day. Then you are free and clear until 1200 the next day. Not 10 hours later or anytime during your rest are you required to be contactable. So go for a run, leave the hotel, hang out at starbucks because by 1200 that's when you finally have to go to work.

Landed this week at 1500 got shut down at 1530 and the rest was till 1400 next day. Got to airport and trip was cancelled because pax wanted to leave at 1100 but we are uncontactable till 1400. A nice start to the day.

It truely is a godsend. Hope that makes some sense.

With the reserve schedule you dont know what days you are going to work that month. It is not like 121 where they tell you you are on reserve the 5th thru 11th. They call you or you call them and they let you know whether tomorrow is a off day or a work day and then you dont know if you will be gone 2 days or all 7. The only guarenteed days off are you 4 h days you pick. Even with those are subject to "H day black out days" and others senior to you already picking those days off. But you do make more money.

Diesel,

You are absolutely correct about 91K improving the fractional quality of life. You are also, unfortunately, absolutely correct about NJI interpretation of 91K vis-a-vis straight 91. For example, you land at 1700, shut off at 1800, briefed for either 91K or 135 trip next day at noon. Company says they can call you at 0400 for a 91 ferry flight for maintenance or to provide rescue airplane to another crew but then CANNOT use you for 135 or 91K program flight until you have gone back into rest for 10 hours. Of course, this presumes you answer the phone at 0400. Just because they say they CAN call you for 91 doesn't mean you have to answer the phone or the pager.

They have also run crews past 14 duty or 10 flight hours for "tail end" ferry flights although the crew must still agree to it. Some do, some don't. Also, don't forget the "creative" interpretations of what delays constitute "beyond the control of the operator."

Important note. All the above interpretations of CFR 91, 91K, and 135 have been reviewed and approved by the NJI FAA POI at the Columbia SC FSDO.

Wow i didn't realize the stuff on the front end.

The back end stuff is wayyyy in the gray area. How do you think the poi approved the 14 hour rule for nja and then approved nji to go past 14 hours. Let's just say there was no contract to enforce the 14 hour rule for nja??

Diesel,

Part 135 on-demand operators, 121 cargo supplemental carriers, and many others have been using the "tail-end" 91 idea for years. Depends on which FAA inspector you talk to as to whether it's legal. NJA has a contractual limit which, like many other airlines, is often more definite and confining than FAA regulations. The NJI company perspective is that FAA regulations are the guidelines, court decisions are the rules. They have many court decisions that support their interpretations. I suppose it's one of the reasons Woodbridge wants to keep NJI non-union. The lack of flexibility imposed by a contractual limit increases costs and they want to maintain maximum flexibility even if it approaches a grey area.

probably the best explanation i've seen on this board.

What are you're thoughts on flying past 14hours even if it's "just a ferry". I used to do that in my last deal. Made for some long days and multiple time zones.

Like I said before Diesel, some do, some don't.

Some answer their phones or pagers before their 91K or 135 brief time, some don't.

Without a contract, CYA is an important concept to believe in.

be-400xpdriver said:
With the reserve schedule you dont know what days you are going to work that month. It is not like 121 where they tell you you are on reserve the 5th thru 11th. They call you or you call them and they let you know whether tomorrow is a off day or a work day and then you dont know if you will be gone 2 days or all 7. The only guarenteed days off are you 4 h days you pick. Even with those are subject to "H day black out days" and others senior to you already picking those days off. But you do make more money.

I've been on the flex, now called reserve for over two years. I call at the beginning of the month and they tell me the anticipated days on. Only shifted by one day once. I don't believe that will change with the new CBA.

Latest resources

Back