• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Requirements to fly over the ocean...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all of the info! It has been really helpful. Yesterday I took the first big step toward getting the certificate. I took a one hour intro flight with an instructor down in Louisiana. I hope to be down there full time around January to start training. The instructor was very nice and great at explaining things. I cant wait to start my lessons!

May I recommend a place called AST survival they have the survival gear you will want to take. I use the IPSLR Raft as it has removable CO2 cartridges and cheap to replace and only 5lbs.

Look at the water temps and study the effects of hypothermia in the region it will superize you.

Also you may want to go to the faa Survival Course (Free In Oklahoma City)

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/survival_training

Course Content
Basic Survival training consists of information on the following topics with hands-on, Lab, application where indicated (listed in order of presentation):
  • Psychology of Survival
  • Overview of Search & Rescue Operations
  • Personal Survival Kits
  • Fire Starting with Lab
  • Hot Land Survival
  • Cold Land Survival
  • Signaling with Lab (weather permitting)
  • Aircraft (Smoke) Evacuation with Lab
  • Ditching and Sea Survival
  • Underwater Egress
  • Water Survival Lab consisting of:
    • Ditching and Egress
    • Flotation and Swimming
    • Raft Boarding and Righting
    • Rescue (pick-up) Devices
    • Shallow Water Egress Trainer (Voluntary)

"Supersize"? Do you get frys with that?????

Going swimming from any off airport landing in any region is not fun. Some are just much less fun than others. If you are not prepared, think twice about going. Small life rafs can work if you are not injured, you have practiced how to get into one, you are not in a storm, you have food and water, and you are mentally ready to handle the situation. If you are not ready, you may just be Fish Food......

Last edited:
I used to fly between mainland FL and Freeport quite a bit. It's very easily done VFR, of course VFR at night is prohibited in the Bahamas. There's a guide you can purchase from some FBOs down there, for the life of me I can't remember the name, but it was very complete and info pages for each airport in the Bahamas.

Again, bone up on customs procedures (ADCUS...etc), and carry CASH (USD) for covering Bahamian customs fees. Remember, nowadays you'll need a passport for arrival via air in the Bahamas. Bahamian ATC procedures are a little different too, and you may hear some phrases not used in the US. A little research will prove helpful... i.e. CAVOK, "Line up and wait".

Inquire at your local FBOs for overwater equipment rentals. As for the crossing, I'd recommend paralleling the coast until you're abeam and then head straight out. For your return I think Fort Pierce, FL and W. Palm Beach are your best bets.

Do your homework and have fun, Bahamas are a neat place to fly.

Latest resources

Back