Requirements for a dispatchers license

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avpro91

Anyboy know what you have to do to get a dispathcers license? I know you have to take the atp written, but do you have ot take a class too? Then do you just take the test results tot he FSDO and they issue you the cert.?

Just looking for an extra license to have in this f***ed up industry we are in. Ya never know when you're gonna need it

Interesting question. If they don't require any further testing or study than the ATP written is there any reason why anyone with an ATP can't apply to get a Dispatcher Certificate?

you have to get training!

You can go FSI , website and flight safety has program, I think it is around 4000$

takes between 6-12 months depends are you doing it full time or part time!

You can also do it in internet, just shop around!

There is kind of checkride after class and if you pass that oral you get license!

There is no "checkride', but you'll have to take an oral. Depending on the examiner, you'll have questions about the applicable regs, performance, and you'll have to dispatch a flight taking into account the wx conditions, deferred items, etc.

Fairly straight forward, but by no means a walk in the park.:D

The written isn't exactly the ATP written, but the test comes from the same batch of questions, so if you can pass one you can pass both.

SSDD is right there is a practical exam.

In order to be eligiable to take the practical you need to meet the requirements in 65.53, 65.55, 65.57.

I got my dispatchers license back in 1997, the ATP written and the Dis. written are exactly the same except for about 7 more questions that are just for the dis., and you should take the ATP written right after that while it is fresh in your head. You will have to take a course to get signed off to take the practical, when I was going to Embry-Riddle, they offered the program, it had certain parameters that had to be met, I had to have a perfect attendace in the required classes, which where ones already taken in my Degree program, and I had to add a Air Traffic Controllers Class, great class to my studies, then you get a sign off, then you go to a designated examiner to take the practical, I took mine at the examiners house, it lasted 4 hours, you pick the aircraft you want to use to do it in, I choose the B727 since I was very familiar with it at the time, you will do weight and balance, read weather charts, and you will get about 2 hours worth of systems questions asked at you, you have to know as much as if you where getting a type ride, this stuff is all required since dispatchers have to know their aircraft, I think that you had a choice of either the B737, or the B727, then that is it, and the license does not expire good for life

Same as ukipilot above, did mine thru Riddle. Just about all classes required for the signoff were the same as required classes for my degree. Was definately worthwhile for me.

T/SF34/A said:
Same as ukipilot above, did mine thru Riddle. Just about all classes required for the signoff were the same as required classes for my degree. Was definately worthwhile for me.

Having the knowledge that I do now, I really wish I would have done that program. The guy that came to talk to us about the program was like, "Most of you won't need to get your dis. lic. you will pretty much be scooped up into an airline after you graduate" I was thinking SWEET, F- the dispatch program. Now ARINC won't even call me back after I applied 3 times.

avpro91;

there is a place in florida (or there used to be) called sheffield school of aeronautics. they claimed to be the industry leader for the dispatch portion of our little industry. i'm pretty sure they are still out there. there was another of which name i cant recall that offerd a dispatchers liscence in a reduced time frame for those with an aviation background. maybe a google search.....
good luck

cub

Latest resources

Back