Required radio calls for jump pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Could someone please post the required radio calls with Center for jump ops? Is it 5 min till jumpers, 2 min to jumpers, jumpers away and then all jumpers on the ground? It looks like most turbine's get down before the jumpers so how do you make the last call?

I don't think they make the last call, but I sure wish they did.

At least they don't at the airports I frequent.

I usually give/gave a jumpers below 3000 ft call to center and to CTAF....

most responsible DZ's also have a radio that the manifest person uses to call jumpers on the ground over CTAF...

Req'd calls are listed in the FAR's.. There is also a video tape put out by the FAA on jump operations. check w/ your local FSDO....

Also USPA also has some great rescources if you are interested.

Hope this helps...

There are no required calls, except with ATC as appropriate (depending on altitude and airspace), but courtesy calls for the jump are appropriate.

I always made a one minute to jump, jumpers away call. Jumpers on the ground assumes that you're watching all of them, and it also places a certain amount of responsibility on you. Nobody should predicate an action based on the strength of hearing a traffic location (as opposed to seeing traffic), but if you call jumpers on the ground and a conflict occurs between air traffic and a jumper you didn't see (or you and a jumper, ala DeLand, recently)...big trouble a'brewing.

A more important call is the door, before it opens. "DOOR!!!" Cover those reserve handles and everyone stay heads up. Far more important than a courtesy call for jumpers in the door.

cougar6903 said:
Could someone please post the required radio calls with Center for jump ops? Is it 5 min till jumpers, 2 min to jumpers, jumpers away and then all jumpers on the ground? It looks like most turbine's get down before the jumpers so how do you make the last call?

One call must be made at least 5 mins before jumpers begin to exit(usually this call consists of "Jump 2 off of XXX climbing to 13,500", and ATC knows that it means jumpers will be dropped at that altitude), and one call once all jumpers have exited the aircraft. Those are the "required" by the regs....everything else is just gravy. Most controllers request a 3 minute, 1 minute, and jumpers away call(sometimes not by voice, but in a letter of agreement between DZ and controlling agency).

Again, there are no required calls. The closest the regulation comes is a requirement that where the jump will occur in controlled airspace, or through it, communications be established with ATC at least five minutes before the first drop. That's all. No required calls.

§ 105.13 Radio equipment and use requirements.
(a) Except when otherwise authorized by air traffic control--
(1) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft, in or into controlled airspace unless, during that flight--
(i) The aircraft is equipped with a functioning two-way radio communication system appropriate to the air traffic control facilities being used; and
(ii) Radio communications have been established between the aircraft and the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over the affected airspace of the first intended exit altitude at least 5 minutes before the parachute operation begins. The pilot in command must establish radio communications to receive information regarding air traffic activity in the vicinity of the parachute operation.

avbug said:
There are no required calls

Oh yes there are:

Sec. 105.13 Radio equipment and use requirements

(a) Except when otherwise authorized by air traffic control--

(1) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft, in or into controlled airspace unless, during that flight--

(i) The aircraft is equipped with a functioning two-way radio communication system appropriate to the air traffic control facilities being used; and

(ii) Radio communications have been established between the aircraft and the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over the affected airspace of the first intended exit altitude at least 5 minutes before the parachute operation begins. The pilot in command must establish radio communications to receive information regarding air traffic activity in the vicinity of the parachute operation.

(2) The pilot in command of an aircraft used for any parachute operation in or into controlled airspace must, during each flight--

(i) Continuously monitor the appropriate frequency of the aircraft's radio communications system from the time radio communications are first established between the aircraft and air traffic control, until the pilot advises air traffic control that the parachute operation has ended for that flight.

(ii) Advise air traffic control when the last parachutist or object leaves the aircraft.

(b) Parachute operations must be aborted if, prior to receipt of a required air traffic control authorization, or during any parachute operation in or into controlled airspace, the required radio communications system is or becomes inoperative.

I count 2 required calls.

Last edited:
I could swear that's exactly what I just posted...or didn't you read?

A pilot must establish communications, when appropriate, and only when jumping in or through controlled airspace. In controlled airspace, the airspace dictates the communication requirements, but in general, no regulation exists which requires calls for a jump pilot or jump operation.

The pilot, when dealing with controlled airspace and ATC, is required to establish communications five minutes prior, as I previously correctly stated...but only when dealing with ATC in controlled airspace, and only when required. A typical jump in general controlled airspace, such as Class E, requires no contact or annuncement.

The announcements that various posters described, such as one minute prior, five to, jumpers on the ground, etc, are not required calls. When dealing with ATC, one need only establish communications five minutes prior, but need not even make an announcement or any particular kind. So long as ATC responds with the aircraft call sign, commo has been established, with no required reports...and if ATC isn't involved, no reports of any kind are required. If the aircraft is talking to ATC, then the pilot needs to let ATC know when the last jumpers are out. No requirement exists to let ATC or anybody else know when the jumpers are down, etc.

avbug said:
IA pilot must establish communications, when appropriate, and only when jumping in or through controlled airspace. In controlled airspace, the airspace dictates the communication requirements, but in general, no regulation exists which requires calls for a jump pilot or jump operation.

The pilot, when dealing with controlled airspace and ATC, is required to establish communications five minutes prior, as I previously correctly stated...but only when dealing with ATC in controlled airspace, and only when required. A typical jump in general controlled airspace, such as Class E, requires no contact or annuncement.

Whats the difference between "controlled" airspace and "general controlled" airspace?

As far as the FAR's go, there is uncontrolled, and controlled. And E is controlled airspace. Thus, any drops in or through class E airspace must be reported. Unless of course there is some loophole you've discovered?

Not at all. You can fly around all day in class E airspace and not talk to a soul. That includes dropping jumpers.

Latest resources

Back