• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic rescinds 23 furlough notices

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHOENIX — When it comes to marking up historic signs, good grammar is a bad defense.

Two self-styled vigilantes against typos who defaced a more than 60-year-old, hand-painted sign at Grand Canyon National Park were sentenced to probation and banned from national parks for a year.

Jeff Deck and Benjamin Herson pleaded guilty Aug. 11 for the damage done March 28 at the park's Desert View Watchtower. The sign was made by Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter, the architect who designed the rustic 1930s watchtower and other Grand Canyon-area landmarks.

Deck and Herson, both 28, toured the United States this spring, wiping out errors on government and private signs. They were interviewed by NPR and the Chicago Tribune, which called them "a pair of Kerouacs armed with Sharpies and erasers and righteous indignation."

An affidavit by National Park Service agent Christopher A. Smith said investigators learned of the vandalism from an Internet site operated by Deck on behalf of the Typo Eradication Advancement League, or TEAL.

Authorities said a diary written by Deck reported that while visiting the watchtower, he and Herson "discovered a hand-rendered sign inside that, I regret to report, contained a few errors."

The fiberboard sign has yellow lettering with a black background. Deck wrote that they used a marker to cover an erroneous apostrophe, put the apostrophe in its proper place with white-out and added a comma.

The misspelled word "emense" was not fixed, Deck wrote, because "I was reluctant to disfigure the sign any further. ... Still, I think I shall be haunted by that perversity, emense, in my train-whistle-blighted dreams tonight."

Deck, of Somerville, Mass., and Herson, of Virginia Beach, Va., pleaded guilty to conspiracy to vandalize government property.

They were sentenced to a year's probation, during which they cannot enter any national park or modify any public signs. They were also ordered to pay $3,035 to repair the watchtower sign.

The TEAL Web site now has only this message — "Statement on the signage of our National Parks and public lands to come" — without a period. (AP)

The title does not make sense. Did you mean to say "rescinds"?

It means you're a retarded fa*** for trying to act like you didn't understand that he meant to say RE-SENDS!
Typical spiky haired dou***.

Obviously a MOD got his hands on this one and changed it. A little favoritism there ceo_of_the_sofa? Especially since you work for the same company?

It's real sad when people make huge stupid mistakes and then can't handle the heat afterwards. Isn't that part of being a pilot? Handling the heat?

Ouch, I feel my pinky toe hurting again. I think I'll call in sick or tell a MOD.

Maybe he meant Republic resents the mailing of 23 furlough notices?

Mayabe a pilot does not need to know how to spell because a RAH pilot does not even need to know how to fly since the major aircraft they "fly" will fly and basically land itself?

Mayabe a pilot does not need to know how to spell because a RAH pilot does not even need to know how to fly since the major aircraft they "fly" will fly and basically land itself?

Don't you mean the "majority of aircraft they "fly""? Haha, just bust'n your chops!

well, according to the title, I guess management sent out 23 more furlough notices. I suppose the originals were lost in the mail.

Not to single you out (others seem to not understand the definition either), but it's spelled "rescind" and it means to withdraw 23 of its furlough notices sent out.

Translation = 23 happy pilots get to keep their job.

Latest resources

Back