Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Republic downsizing due to Pilot Shortage...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Godfather

This reports says this:

"The company, which owns regional carriers Chautauqua Airlines and Republic Airlines, said in a federal filing "the company is no longer seeking extensions for 27 of 41 Embraer planes." It cited a "significant reduction" in pilots who meet U.S. experience rules.

Republic added that it expected to take the 27 planes out of service this year, a move that will reduce pretax income between $18 million and $22 million. It did not give more financial details in the filing. Airline officials were not immediately available for comment.

The company also said it would create 750 fewer jobs because of the change."

Pilot Shortage really to blame? Wonder which fleet they'll cut back?

Fire away my Brothers and Sisters!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/republic-airways-says-lack-pilots-165824888.html

Awesome. Time to increase pay or become the next Great Lakes.

"There are a limited number of qualified applicants under the present limitation of 1,500 hours and those applicants will generally gravitate toward jobs at major carriers including cargo carriers as opposed to regionals," said Mann.

LOL.... He didn't say that many FO's will go to the better paying regionals and ones that have a flow thru.

Had a Flight Attendant from Eagle tell a Great Lakes FO that told another PSA Flight Attendant that the older former Mid Atlantic EMB 170's were leaving and US Airways was going to take them back and give them to PDT. :)

This reports says this:

"The company, which owns regional carriers Chautauqua Airlines and Republic Airlines, said in a federal filing "the company is no longer seeking extensions for 27 of 41 Embraer planes." It cited a "significant reduction" in pilots who meet U.S. experience rules.

Republic added that it expected to take the 27 planes out of service this year, a move that will reduce pretax income between $18 million and $22 million. It did not give more financial details in the filing. Airline officials were not immediately available for comment.

The company also said it would create 750 fewer jobs because of the change."

Pilot Shortage really to blame? Wonder which fleet they'll cut back?

Fire away my Brothers and Sisters!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/republic-airways-says-lack-pilots-165824888.html

That's going to be the story for any airline that operates 50 seat aircraft

I doubt the FAA and congress realized what the rule changes would do for this segment. An unintended consequence for sure. This is the kind of affect a real trade union such as the AMA is successful at doing. Limiting the amount of themselves. And congress unknowingly did it for us.

Hopefully the gridlock in Washington will continue, so that a revision isn't made. Selfish statement; I know.

Last edited:
FAA and Congress Not Realizing what they are doing before they do it???? NEVER!!!

I doubt the FAA and congress realized what the rule changes would do for this segment. An unintended consequence for sure. This is the kind of affect a real trade union such as the AMA is successful at doing. Limiting the amount of themselves. And congress unknowingly did it for us.

Hopefully the gridlock in Washington will continue, so that a revision isn't made. Selfish statement; I know.

Of course they knew what they were doing. This was in response to the shockingly low pay and poor working conditions of regional pilots that came out after 3407. This was intentional

Of course they knew what they were doing. This was in response to the shockingly low pay and poor working conditions of regional pilots that came out after 3407. This was intentional

It was. I just don't think the FAA and/or congress realized just how directly it would hit the regionals.

It was. I just don't think the FAA and/or congress realized just how directly it would hit the regionals.
It didn't hit the regionals, the regionals hit the regionals. If the airlines paid a living wage to their F/Os there wouldn't be a shortage of pilots lining up to receive food stamps. When the moat around the decent pay is 5-7 years deep most pilot candidates decide that being the night shift manager at Taco Bell is a better option. The regulations apply to every 121 airline out there, its a level playing field, the fact that the regional management cannot figure out that starting an F/O out at 45,000 per year will solve their staffing problem. Put the right money out there and they will come, or just wait and watch. The average airline CEO/manager is very low on the smarts scale, they had a captive market, and even screwed that up.
The skill set/experience necessary to get to a regional takes awhile to develop/acquire and promising starvation wages is not very attractive.

Latest resources

Back