Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

It will roll

It just wont be prettty.
Just found out today i'm in the pool for RP. Also have a class date at Skywest (tough call) and trying to figure out which certificate is best at RP so I know what to say when I get an offer. Couple questions for Republic guys. I know some of these questions dont have firm answers, just looking for ballpark info. Thanks in advance!

1) Reserve times in Shuttle, CHQ, and RP certificates and the most junior bases.
2) LGA base: How long until a new hire could hold it? Will it be around long, will I be on reserve forever and will it soon shrink?
3) About how much, everything included could a second year FO plan to make? About how much for a 4-5th year CA?
4) Just curious b/c I do only day trips. What would an example of a 3-4 day trip look like, in terms of where you fly? Long/Good layvoers or not really?
5) What you think the best certificate would be to go to at this point? I think it would be RP since they are getting new 175's soon so reserve should be finite. But maybe the CAL side would be good?
6) I know upgrade time is impossible to predict. Ive heard around 2 years for all RP. Anyone see that going up substantially?
7) Any comments for the Republic vs Skywest (CRJ) decision I soon have to make.

Thanks again!

Sounds like you're not going to find whst you're looking for at either carrier! Do you work for Colgan?
Either would be a huge step up from that. Nobody is going to take the time to answer all of your questions because it involves research. Why don't you just pick the one that involves no commuting. First year pay is slightly higher at RAH, but sucks no matter where you go. At RAH, communication from HQ is very bad - you know nothing until it's a done deal and the press release is out there, then they tell the Pilots. Don't know what to tell you, except even the reserves at RAH are busy, can't say what it's like at Skywest.

1) Reserve times in Shuttle, CHQ, and RP certificates and the most junior bases.
2) LGA base: How long until a new hire could hold it? Will it be around long, will I be on reserve forever and will it soon shrink?
3) About how much, everything included could a second year FO plan to make? About how much for a 4-5th year CA?
4) Just curious b/c I do only day trips. What would an example of a 3-4 day trip look like, in terms of where you fly? Long/Good layvoers or not really?
5) What you think the best certificate would be to go to at this point? I think it would be RP since they are getting new 175's soon so reserve should be finite. But maybe the CAL side would be good?
6) I know upgrade time is impossible to predict. Ive heard around 2 years for all RP. Anyone see that going up substantially?
7) Any comments for the Republic vs Skywest (CRJ) decision I soon have to make.

1) Reserve times are your guess as good as ours. So many factors influence it: Continental deal, what happens with Delta, US Air 175s, etc... Most junior bases: BUF, RIC (will most likely disappear), IND, CMH, for 170s
2) LGA will probably not happen for anyone new (will most likely downsize or close by year end)
3) 2nd year FO could expect $35,000 perhaps, maybe more, probably less; don't forget negotiations start in April 2007 (I'm not trying to be pesimistic, just honest)
4) All depends on your base; if you're new, a 3 or 4 day trip will most likely be terrible: long sits and maybe a one leg day in there (built to <5 hours a day); the layovers will change monthly: maybe Key West, maybe Rochester or Buffalo. Your guess as good as scheduling's...
5) It wouldn't be your choice as to what certificate you received. Its all one senority list so upgrade time doesn't matter. Take the first available however... So many 'cool' 170 FOs who wouldn't lower themselves to the 'regional jet'; they believe they will be able to 'hold out' for the big jet... Riiiiight....
6) 2 year upgrade is in the past; it is NOT the case now; it won't be the case for a very long time; the quick upgrade is no more; all regionals grow quickly and then stop......RAH has stopped, we are back to being like everyone else
7) Choose based on quality of lfe; if you are going to commute and live out east, choose RAH; if you live out west, choose Skywest. PLEASE do not choose based on 'possible' upgrade time or $2 per hour or any other nonsense. If nothing matters choose where you would be happiest for the longest time...

Avi8tor said it best, Calm your commute if possible. I for one am a commuter for life because I'm not willing to move to a crew base. If you live out west, DON'T COME HERE. People at RAH the commute from out west try to get STL or ORD, those are the bases that are a little easier to commute from out west.

Upgrade---- As stated above the short upgrade is gone. With the E175 growth and the CRJ growth you may see 28-36 month upgrades. This is all contengent on the Delta Rebid. If we loose Delta flying, upgrade could go to 4+ years.

Latest resources

Back