Report entering or established in a hold??

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
Total Time
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you were instructed to hold at a LOM, would you inform ATC crossing over the LOM or once you enter the hold (from whatever hold entry you enter in, reach the holding fix, call and start your turn outbound?) Not sure if you would report [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]arriaving at a holding fix or to report "established" in the hold.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Where would the radio call occur?
[/font]

DC8 Flyer

It's SO BIG!
Total Time
-5 GMT
BoDEAN said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you were instructed to hold at a LOM, would you inform ATC crossing over the LOM or once you enter the hold (from whatever hold entry you enter in, reach the holding fix, call and start your turn outbound?) Not sure if you would report [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]arriaving at a holding fix or to report "established" in the hold.[/font]

[/font]

Im a little too lazy to look up the AIM/Reg ref. but I believe you are to report "crossing" the holding fix as "established in the hold". Since that counts as one turn.

There is a lot of disagreement on what the true definition of established is. If it is really a huge deal then just report "crossing" (time, alt, etc) the fix to ATC as a heads up to ATC and if you get a request back from them for "established" in the hold then make it.
But I do believe crossing the fix for the first time is considered "established" in the holding "pattern".

FearlessFreep

Total Time
??????
Just off the top of my head,

From my understanding and typical SOP in a myriad of different situations in both sims and in actual operations it is when you are established in the hold - specifically in a direct entry when you start your outbound turn, with other situations when your established in the hold entry procedure.

I am sure that the experts here will either confirm or contradict this! ;)

Good Luck To Us All!

labbats

Zulu who?
Total Time
You call entering the hold when the navaid is passed initially.

minitour

When you get to the holding fix and when you leave, you report.

AIM 5-3-7
f.Pilots should report to ATC the time and altitude/flight level at which the aircraft reaches the clearance limit and report leaving the clearance limit.

-mini

NYCPilot

Incorporated.
Total Time
Report Established
The time and altitude arriving over the fix after you've completed the turn to the inital outbound entry heading, flown outbound for one minute, turned inbound, and crossed the fix.

Report Entering
The time and altitude when you initially cross the fix for the first outbound entry leg.

A Squared

Total Time
BoDEAN said:

[/font]
If the controller requests you to report *entering* or doesn't make a specific request, report reaching the holding fix for hte first time. If you are requested to report "established" report crossing hte fix after your entry has been conpleted. The reason for this that in non-radar operations, the controller *may* (unlikely but could happen) take away a bunch of the airspace he's protected for your hold once you are established. Specifically, ATC can 'un-protect" the area that is protected for the entry manuvering.

k_EAT=ho_ME

Closet User...shhhh!
Total Time
~2300
BoDEAN said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Where would the radio call occur?[/font]
Right after I wet myself in fear of holding, to ask for a delay vector. :D

GravityHater

Total Time
If you are holding the freq will probably be so congested that you call whenever you can get a word in edgewise in my experience. And they usually don't care because they just gave you the hold anyway!

Same with leaving, it must be rare to get "depart the hold at xy:00 hours", I usually get, Fly direct abcde, cleared as previously filed. So I don't go "Nabc leaving the ho-old!"

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
Total Time
A Squared said:
If the controller requests you to report *entering* or doesn't make a specific request, report reaching the holding fix for hte first time. If you are requested to report "established" report crossing hte fix after your entry has been conpleted. The reason for this that in non-radar operations, the controller *may* (unlikely but could happen) take away a bunch of the airspace he's protected for your hold once you are established. Specifically, ATC can 'un-protect" the area that is protected for the entry manuvering.
That's how I remember it.

minitour

GravityHater said:
Same with leaving, it must be rare to get "depart the hold at xy:00 hours", I usually get, Fly direct abcde, cleared as previously filed. So I don't go "Nabc leaving the ho-old!"
Of course, you could do both at the same time...

"N123, leaving SOONR direct JESKE as filed."

-mini

TR4A

Total Time
15000+
minitour said:
AIM 5-3-7
f.Pilots should report to ATC the time and altitude/flight level at which the aircraft reaches the clearance limit and report leaving the clearance limit.
The key word here is "should". Years ago it was required to report. Now unless under non-radar it is only should just like reporting when leaving an assigned altitude.

minitour

TR4A said:
The key word here is "should". Years ago it was required to report. Now unless under non-radar it is only should just like reporting when leaving an assigned altitude.
Agreed. And as someone pointed out earlier, chances are if they gave you a hold they're going to be busy and...you aren't getting in on da freq anyway.

...but there's the answer to his question.

-mini

NoahWerka

Happily Unemployed User
Total Time
2.0yrs
Disregard

Last edited: