Repercussion of Delta Retirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilot Doc

Delta also has around 500 pilots who are over 55 with 25 years of service. Which means that they can retire anytime they want to. What do you think they will do if they sence an imminent ch 11 filing? Stick around, I think not ... All of your 777's can be grounded over night with a sudden pilot retirement rush.

The above post from the AA/DL 777 thread intrigued me. How vulnerable is the 777 fleet to a mass exodus of senior pilots? How many 777 Captains do they have? Any ideas what Delta would do if suddenly left sans 777 captains?

777's

If that many Captains retire in one fell swoop, it won't affect only the 777 left seat, but every seat position in the company.

Not only are the 500 pilots that retired gone; but the 500 upgrading -777 Captains are "out of pocket" for 6-8 weeks while they are in class, and also THEIR 500 replacements are in training for 6-8 weeks to replace them. . . . and so on down the seniority list. . .

Normally this happens over the course of a "training cycle", but if they all leave at once. . . their training manager picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. . .

The only solution I could see is that Delta would have to offer these Captains a "Bankruptcy Proof" retention package (you know, similar to what the executives have) to keep them around until everyone is upgraded. . . .

Remember a couple of years ago when US Air was furloughing and cancelling flights because they were short on crews. When the pilots figured out that they were going to be furloughed ( and probably not recalled ) they started using their sick time & vacation.

Strange, but true.

klhoard said:
The only solution I could see is that Delta would have to offer these Captains a "Bankruptcy Proof" retention package (you know, similar to what the executives have) to keep them around until everyone is upgraded. . . .
Another option that I've heard thrown around is to allow them to retire and then retain their services on a temporary basis as contract pilots until the categories can be properly manned.

This is all just another prime example of Delta mismanagement. If the airline was properly manned and we had some forward thinkers in management this wouldn't be an issue.

I am sure Dalpa has looked at this, and they may do something like that (a temporary fix---allow a one time part time contract for a few months guaranteeing the retiring guys lump sum etc), but that can lead to a bad precedent. I don't think Dalpa would want any fleets parked, and neither would management.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
I don't think Dalpa would want any fleets parked, and neither would management.

Bye Bye--General Lee
I know is isn't your fleet, (it is DelCon though), but your will be seeing just that (a fleet parked) on Nov 2nd with the FRJ.........

better?

Last edited:
I'm sorry...

Rotorhead said:
I know is isn't your fleet, (it is DelCon though), but your will be seeing just that on Nov 2nd with the 328.........
Say again...came out garbled.

Kaffir
x Blue Ridger

We have already given DAL management relief by the recent side letter of agreement concerning increasing the Cap for the B777, B767-400 and B767 ATL.

With this agreement, as far as I know, there is no date for which this agreement is to terminate. That means continious never ending relief for the company.

As far as I am concerned, with all we have done to help the company, if they are unable to staff these categories sufficiently -- that is just too dam# bad. They should know by now how to staff an airline.

Latest resources

Back