Renewing expired CFI certificates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyaddict

I want to renew all my instructor certificates for the heck of it and I know that in my case (expired certificate) any instructor checkride will renew them all. I will choose the CFII ride.

Does anyone know if you have to give the FSDO first dibs to have Fed do it if they want to (uh, no thanks), or if, since it's a renewal and not an initial- you can go straight to arranging it with a Designated Examiner? Thanks.

It is actually a reinstatement. Any qualified Designated Examiner can do the ride. You will need your expired license or a letter from the FAA confirming your expired certificate.

It is actually a reinstatement. Any qualified Designated Examiner can do the ride. You will need your expired license or a letter from the FAA confirming your expired certificate.

Thanks!

I did this back in 2001 w/ a DE. 1.5 hour oral, mainly recent changes since I last renewed and a 1.0 flight. As a CFII, know all your responsibilities for signing off/flying with an instrument student and the associated FAR's. No big deal, the hardest part is paying the examiner. It's free at the FSDO if you can actually get them to do their job.

... It's free at the FSDO if you can actually get them to do their job.

In my experience it's a matter of FAA staffing. Every office is short of Inspectors. My schedule is full for the next 30 days then more open out to 60 days. How is your weather and airplane availability for you in 4 to 6 weeks?? Remember the pilots who did get weathered out or something broke get first dibs for my time. Giving checkrides is mostly a small part of an Inspectors work schedule.

Latest resources

Back