Renewed Recall rumors at CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HHH

Posts on Calforums say recalls might be soon. Anyone else heard the same thing?

No, have not heard a word on recalls. Did hear that Jay is working on trying to get them recalled from a P2P guy in the crew room.

I just flew with a sim instructor/check airmen 2 days ago, and the latest information he had was that there would be a system bid in August with some recalls on it. He said though, that truthfully the training department was pretty disorganized and that they always seem to be the last ones to know what's going on. Take it for what its worth...

Well they are short already, 9 737's by Aug, 2 777 by Oct, I would hope so. Not to mention, how many will bail once the merger is announce, they had projected 4 retirements on the last bid, thinking it will be much higher than that now. Wow, they could really be stuck in a bind, staffing wise if they don't.

Short term VRF for June?

...consider the pot stirred.

how many will bail once the merger is announce, they had projected 4 retirements on the last bid.
Any theories on how the merger will motivate some the senior guys to retire? Other than they're just worn out from decades schlepping around airports and wondering where their next home base it going to be....

Any theories on how the merger will motivate some the senior guys to retire? Other than they're just worn out from decades schlepping around airports and wondering where their next home base it going to be....

Well, this is speculative... but here are some facts. UAL, has no A fund. So in a joint collective bargaining agreement they could give all 13,000 pilots an "a" fund. ----Not likely.

Most likely, the A fund would be spun off to a third party, then it's off the books at the combined airline. In past cases, I don't ever recall a 3rd party paying out those funds in a lump sum. It would be in an annuity. Maybe it can be bargained to be a lump sum, but in my meager opinion, probably not.

I think the above is going to cause a lot of over 60 guys to take a close look at the lump sum amount, versus the prospect of being stuck with a 3rd party administered annuity. I see recalls and more than the projected 4 retirements at CAL happening.

Discuss.

Well, this is speculative... but here are some facts. UAL, has no A fund. So in a joint collective bargaining agreement they could give all 13,000 pilots an "a" fund. ----Not likely.

Most likely, the A fund would be spun off to a third party, then it's off the books at the combined airline. In past cases, I don't ever recall a 3rd party paying out those funds in a lump sum. It would be in an annuity. Maybe it can be bargained to be a lump sum, but in my meager opinion, probably not.

I think the above is going to cause a lot of over 60 guys to take a close look at the lump sum amount, versus the prospect of being stuck with a 3rd party administered annuity. I see recalls and more than the projected 4 retirements at CAL happening.

Discuss.

It might also be worth mentioning that these over 60 guys have been working at CAL for 20-30 years (for some of them). Merely as a pride thing, there will be some that walk from CAL just to say they retired from CAL, not United.

In addition, a lot of gummers have been doing their same thing for a long time. A lot of these guys won't want to learn a new PBS, new procedures, etc. Some will just fear change and bail. The more the merrier.

For those of us new to mergers etc., what happens to the pilots on furlough right now? Are they on the street and then re-hired with priority? I wonder how many of the total furloughs would come back. I heard alot of guys took contracts overseas. All hearsay on my part. I just wonder how likely it would be to get hired under the new United. I guess we will have to see what the MEC's pound out. I hope they protect the already employed there and preserve the livelyhood of the guys on furlough and the potential new hires.

Latest resources

Back