• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

renew a CFI at a 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did this twice at my 135 carrier. I was a training capt and check airman. I asked for and received a letter from our flight department stating I was a check airman and training captain with our company. I took the letter to the FSDO and they renewed my CFI based on that letter.

However, if you do something like this, I'd recommend calling the FSDO first. I went to my local FSDO with the letter in hand and the secretary said they were unable to renew my CFI this way. I went back the very next day and a different person was there and was able to help me take care of it with no problem.

I have done this several times, its the best way to do it...no weekend classes. Just tell your POI and they will most likely do it on the spot, no check airmen needed.

i think i might not have typed my initial post as clear as i wanted to. can I renew the cfi just being a regular line pilot? i was told this but never heard of it before. I always thought you had to be a check airmen to renew the cfi.

I don't think it will work as a regular line pilot, especially if you're not a captain. I think you have to be in a position to "evaluate." I renewed mine earlier this year as a training captain. Called the FSDO at 9am, they asked if I could come by at noon, and they did my renewal no questions asked. In and out in less time than it takes at the DMV. All I brought with me was a completed 8710 with the box for "duties and responsibilities" checked as the basis for renewal, and for proof I brought my 8410 letter with the "135.340" and "right seat" boxes checked. He didn't even look at it, so I guess it depends on where you go.

Last edited:
You can usually renew even if you are only a line pilot. Some FSDOs won't do it unless you are a captain. I have had mine renewed as capatain and FO, and I wasn't a check airmen.

well im a captain, so i'll give the fsdo a call on monday and see what the say.

No, went through this myself. If your CFI is expired the only way to renew it is a reinstatement and it requires a flight check. Sux, I know, but that's the rule.

TransMach

When I was flying 135 the POI said (when he was giving my initial SIC checkride) that He would renew mine once I was upgraded to captain. So after I was officially a company captain I went next door to the FSDO and took my 8410 showing my captain checkride and got a renewed CFI. In this case he wouldn't renew for an FO.

Latest resources

Back