Reliability of a BlueTooth GPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

squale

Well I thought I was going to end up getting like a Garmin 296 or some dedicated handheld GPS (possibly the new Lowrance 2000c), but after looking at this Anywhere Map software, it is starting to sway me more and more in that direction.

It's cheaper, more features, and doubles with a PDA so you can use the pda for loads of my things besides just navigation.

But, looking at the Anywheremap website, there have different gps options. Most notably the Tracker gps's they say have the Garmin chipsets in them. I am wondering a couple things..

1.) Take a look at the Tracker using Garmin's chipset: http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=12 and then the Garmin unit: http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/
Now obviously they have different cases, but is it safe to say the guts of both of these units are identical? I ask because I know Garmin has good gps receivers and from past gps's I have had I know that Garmin holds pretty good locks onto satellites.

2.) The Bluetooth tracker looks nice because you don't need wires running all over the place. But I question how good and reliable the bluetooth signal is in the cockpit? do you ever lose bluetooth connection? does the bluetooth technology mess with any of the airplanes instruments?

Any info is greatly appreicated, thanks

I have been using Anywheremap since it first came on the market.

I now have two, one with the wired antenna and one with a bluetooth antenna.

The simple answer is which do you prefer, the horse and buggy or the automobile?

Cat Driver

Well which is more reliable? and how good do their gps receivers hold onto the satellites? I think their new Tracker gps'es even use the Garmin chipset right?

Squale:

I have not had the bluetoth lose satellites yet.

O.K,

I was answering only part of your question.

I have an Ipac 2210 loaded with anywheremap software and a Socket bluetooth GPS receiver.

It relocates very fast anywhere on the planet and has never to this point in time lost the satellites.

I also use a Lowrance Airmap 300 and it sometimes takes up to five minutes to relocate say from North America to Europe.

Latest resources

Back