• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reionals fate? Delta/NWA Merger?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had the single list existed at the time of the ACA liquidation those pilots would have went on to exercise their seniority at other ALPA properties. I assume that there is no philosophical problem with that, right?What if an ALPA job wasn't available? Are you saying they could just bid for an open ALPA position? Would they be able to bump someone junior out of their seat? Would it cause furloughs?

What we seem to be talking about here is how to create the single list in the first place. Its clearly a difficult process without a single answer but you can bet that your date of hire at your first ALPA carrier will be the first date looked at. Nope, too many major guy have a lot to lose.

MJ42...I assume you were at Skywest judging by your a/c flown list and having never flown at a ALPA carrier. You may not of had much of a choice when you started there but you certainly made a choice to stay until you were hired at NWA. Had a single ALPA list existed at the time would you have bailed for the first ALPA carrier that would hire you or would you have continued to enjoy the relatively high pay (for a regional) and local seniority at your non-Union shop while waiting for that class at a major? Don't know, it never was a consideration because an ALPA "one list" wasn't a factor in ANYBODY'S decision back then.

Maybe a single ALPA list would persuade the Skywest boys to Unionize. Maybe it will be the catalyst to merge in many of the independents. Maybe with a truly "National" pilot Union we can be more persuasive in Washington. Maybe with one list ALPA pilots will be able to get over the superiority complexes/victim mentalities that tear our Union at the seams. Maybe with one list we can enjoy our careers without fear of signing on to a carrier that later failed or a management group bent on self destruction.But, then again, maybe not.

Much can be gained from these kinds of large scale initiatives but it certainly won't happen until pilots are willing to put their personal circumstances behind them and support the greater good. Much to be lost also.

Like kiddo said, it's an interesting topic. That's why I keep responding. But it will NOT happen.

From your other posts on different threads it seems you are interested in going to a major someday. By your one list suggestion you(personally) would have everything to gain and nothing to lose. You would leap over thousands who were hired at major ALPA carriers who came from different backgrounds than ALPA. These thousands of pilots would not let this happen. Do you want this one list for ALPA unity or personal gain? I'd guess personal gain because your career didn't go as expected.

If your proposal is for ALPA unity and career protection then how about one DOH ALPA list for majors and another for regionals? Start at the bottom when you get on at a major. I know you'll be against this, probably citing that we are all ALPA. But in reality, you would lose the THOUSANDS of seniority #'s that you'd otherwise have gained by your suggestion. OR...how about staple regionals after the last major? I know, you'll say this hurts the senior regional guys. But, using your thinking, they had plenty of opportunity to get on with a major over the years.

Instead of fairness for all pilots you seem to care more about personal gain disguised by a pro ALPA stance.

I (and thousand of others) have put too much blood, sweat and tears to get to career goals only to watch seniority be wiped out by some 250 hour high school educated wonder who was in ALPA first.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back