Regulatory Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

X-rated

I recently met a guy flying a G650 as PIC for a private owner. His First Class Medical was 10 months old, and he is well over 40 years old. He holds an ATP, but it's his contention that an ATP is not required to carry passengers in their private operation so he only requires a 2nd Class Medical. Is he right?

61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person?
(1) Must hold a first-class medical certificate:
(i) When exercising the pilot-in-command privileges of an airline transport pilot certificate;

Last edited:
If it is a part 91 operation, sounds like it may be since it is for a private owner. A Commercial certificate with an appropriate type rating is all that is required so technically speaking he is not excercising the privileges of an ATP certificate.

If it is a part 91 operation, sounds like it may be since it is for a private owner. A Commercial certificate with an appropriate type rating is all that is required so technically speaking he is not excercising the privileges of an ATP certificate.

I think you might be right. I'm very curious to see if anyone comes up with a reason why that wouldn't be true. I'd certainly love to stop going to the AME every six months!

Are any Pt 91 PIC's here flying on a 2nd Class Medical?

we have a couple of guys that are +40 who get a second class medical once a year. I'm sub 40 at present and get a first class once a year. we're all part 91

He will need a 1st class to fly that 650 internationally. Not a big deal until they are SAFA checked in Paris or Geneva.

Of course, you are supposed to "import" your N registered aircraft through Rotterdam or file the import exemption every time you enter and exit a EU country on the first entry and last exit.

We did this one time and Euro customs had no idea what we were taking about. Supposedly it is a huge fine if you don't comply. Probably on the same line as a 1st class physical, they really don't care unless there is an issue.

On top of that, you must renew the physical prior to the month it expires, not by the end of the month like we do.

My company is straight Part 91, we fly internationally and we comply with IS-BAO standards, so it is to the flight doc every six months.

Last edited:
He will need a 1st class to fly that 650 internationally. Not a big deal until they are SAFA checked in Paris or Geneva.

Of course, you are supposed to "import" your N registered aircraft through Rotterdam or file the import exemption every time you enter and exit a EU country on the first entry and last exit.

We did this one time and Euro customs had no idea what we were taking about. Supposedly it is a huge fine if you don't comply. Probably on the same line as a 1st class physical, they really don't care unless there is an issue.

On top of that, you must renew the physical prior to the month it expires, not by the end of the month like we do.

My company is straight Part 91, we fly internationally and we comply with IS-BAO standards, so it is to the flight doc every six months.

We are permanently EU imported through the Isle of Man and a complicated scheme put together by ICM/Martyn Fiddler. You can actually do it through any EU country although the tax implication is different in each jurisdiction. You are correct about the ATP in Europe. I knew that, but it did not immediately come to me. We have always kept up our First Class medicals so it's not an issue for us. I will remind the pilot in question though they mostly fly domestically. Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:
Our old GV was imported but we never actually go to Rotterdam or the Isle of Man, so our new 550 remains un imported.

Did you have to physically land your airplane there to import or there a way to import without the physical presense of the aircraft.

Fortunately, this import issue is not my problem but it needs resolved eventually.

Thanks

Our old GV was imported but we never actually go to Rotterdam or the Isle of Man, so our new 550 remains un imported.

Did you have to physically land your airplane there to import or there a way to import without the physical presense of the aircraft.

Fortunately, this import issue is not my problem but it needs resolved eventually.

Thanks

Yes,

We had to actually land in Isle of Man and hang out while they ran over to file the paperwork. It only took a couple hours.

Thats what I thought. One of these days, we are going to have to land in Rotterdam first and properly import.

I have asked other companies what they do about the un-imported aircraft paperwork and they look at me like deer in the headlights.

For a 6 day trip I recently did that entered in UK, flew around the EU, then exited in Switzerland, reentered in France and exited again in UK, the paperwork pile was 3 inches thick.

Don't think I'm going to do that again and customs was about as lost as we were concerning procedure. Was quite comical.

I strongly recommend you contact Angie at ICM/Martyn Fiddler. Nobody is better known or respected for importing aircraft into the EU, and they can save you a huge pile of money. There are quite a few hoops to jump through however.

Latest resources

Back